Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey for a 2.2l 2005 base model cobalt do you NEED to get a turbocharger specifically made for the cobalt or are most turbos universal?

·
Registered
610 Posts
yes it has to be applicable to your cobalt. keep in mind the year and transmission because those are some key factors. i suggest piecing your own kit together because it will be a lot cheaper and you'll probably get more power out of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya the kits are quite expensive i heard it would be alot better to build your own would a t4 turbo fit? it says its for 4-6 cylinder cars.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You first should find what exhaust manifold you'll be running. Whatever flange the mani has is what you'll want to match up with a turbo...find the turbo's that have the same flange and then decide which one is right for you (how much power do you want to make and other factors will go into the turbo as well).

·
Registered
610 Posts
to be honest with you i would supercharge instead. its a lot cheaper, an easier install, and no spool time. at least those are the reasons why im saving up for my sc haha.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the base 2.2L ecotec with just exhaust being the only performance mod ive put on it so far. Where do i find a supercharger for this and how much would a supercharger cost? and what all do you need for a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I have the base 2.2L ecotec with just exhaust being the only performance mod ive put on it so far. Where do i find a supercharger for this and how much would a supercharger cost? and what all do you need for a supercharger.
read this thread, its a good place to start. you will need to do A LOT of research before attempting either. especially if you want your car running most of the time.http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/7771-supercharger-vs-turbocharger.html

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
go check out the eaton superchargers. or snatch one from a wrecked SS me thinks

·
Registered
610 Posts
ya good advice will do... 1 more question where can I find a supercharger for a 2.2l eco?
are you planning on piecing your own kit together or buyin one whole? if you're buying a whole kit, there are a few for sale on css but if you're pieceing your own i would go with the eaton m62. thats the one that the ss models use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really not to sure just wouldnt to figure out the cost of them etc..Would it be cheaper to get a kit off of eaton or to just take one off of the SS models im sure i could get one not to expensive.

·
Registered
610 Posts
there isnt an actual kit you can buy off a site. you'd have to buy one from an individual seller. most people that pieced together their own kit used the m62 which is the same supercharger used on the ss models. to buy a kit on css is anywhere from $1200-$2000. piecing your own kit could be cheaper but would also be a lot more trouble.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The LSJ and LNF engines are 2.0L...LSJ being supercharged, LNF being turbocharged. You can get the parts you need from an LSJ. Everything will bolt right up to the 2.2L. All you will need then is tuning.

If you piece one together and take your time getting it, you can have one for about $1000 at most. The supercharger itself can be had for $200-300 depending on the condition and the seller.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.