Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got a 2008 cobalt lt 5 speed 2.2 and I'm considering putting a turbo on it. Im gettin real bored with it. I was wondering if the garrett turbo kit is worth the money? What any other ideas anyone has? I'd like to keep up with a stock ss at least. Or should I just sell it and get an SS? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the only turbo kit i've really seen for our cars is the Garret one. it's the one i'll be buying when i get money. you can run 8psi safely on the stock engine. more if you do work. and more if you want the car to break down sooner than it should. 8psi puts around 200 to the wheels it says.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It put out 200HP on stock engine but that's the older models with 138HP. I know my 2009 has 155HP, so with a few internal changes and that bit of added HP, I would like to eventually get it up to 250-270HP with no problems. I will probably be getting the garrett turbo kit in a year or two as well, because it is a good brand and they have done lots of testing on the product, it holds up nicely. I would also suggest getting a new standalone ECU like the AEM EMS. Although it is expensive, it will save you the money and hassle of taking your car to be tuned every time you wanna change things etc etc. Good luck! let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Garrett is one of best turbo in market.
x2, they put a lot of money into research and engineering, which is why, although they seem not to give much power increase "safely on stock engine", you'll still get a good amount of power and you know it won't be a piece of crap kit. A bit of built internals and you can have a real solid turbo setup with their kit.

·
Registered
720 Posts
ZZP has a turbo kit that starts at $1900...they offer stages. ZZPerformance

Also, the Garrett kit is discontinued, so get them while you can, I think they are overpriced personally...you could go piece one together that has the same components for a few hundred less. It is just up to you whether you want to spend the time or the money.

I wouldn't bother with a stand alone unit. I would just get it all put together how you want it and do a Trifecta Tune...it's not hard at all to tweak it as long as you're data logging.

If you want a budget build that will get you a little more power, go find a 2003+ Saab 9-3 2.0T to get the turbo, int. and exh. mani's from, and oil lines. The 2.0T block is the same as the LSJ (SS/SC). You can go to junkyards and piece one of those together for $750 or less...just need an intercooler, piping, and a few other things to finish it...$1500 if you're thrifty and you can be turbocharged.

It's all about how much you want to spend and how much power you want.

I recommend anybody wanting over 220whp to build the engine...220whp is pushing it, but you should still be safe.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
ZZP has a turbo kit that starts at $1900...they offer stages. ZZPerformance

Also, the Garrett kit is discontinued, so get them while you can, I think they are overpriced personally...you could go piece one together that has the same components for a few hundred less. It is just up to you whether you want to spend the time or the money.

I wouldn't bother with a stand alone unit. I would just get it all put together how you want it and do a Trifecta Tune...it's not hard at all to tweak it as long as you're data logging.

If you want a budget build that will get you a little more power, go find a 2003+ Saab 9-3 2.0T to get the turbo, int. and exh. mani's from, and oil lines. The 2.0T block is the same as the LSJ (SS/SC). You can go to junkyards and piece one of those together for $750 or less...just need an intercooler, piping, and a few other things to finish it...$1500 if you're thrifty and you can be turbocharged.

It's all about how much you want to spend and how much power you want.

I recommend anybody wanting over 220whp to build the engine...220whp is pushing it, but you should still be safe.
hmm don't see any kits for 2.2L on the site. Also, your right bout how much you're willing to spend on a setup. If you want 200hp or less, then the piecing your own kit with the saab turbo might be fine (with no engine build), but for people looking for real power with a built engine, you'll need more than that. That's where the standalone ecu comes into play. It starts getting expensive but as we all know, if you want big power you gotta shell out the cash for it. And tune it right, and build the engine...etc etc. My point of view and experiences.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hell yeas you should get the turbo the Gt28 would blow ss's outta the water..the stock turbo ss's are faster than the supercharged ones and the turbocharged as well as supercharged are only 2 liters. you got the bigger engine, and if you get the better turbo you'd be smokin stock ss's

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
On ZZP's site it's listed as 2.4 turbo...click the link...then choose the option for 2.2 and whatever other options you want...here's a direct link to the page:

https://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion/products1.php?id=922&catid=143
Aah there we go lol cool the site was acting up yesterday.

Do you know anyone with this kit or have you heard good things about it?

If you go with a stage 1 kit on an 09, 4-6psi (which is not much and won't require you to build for lower boost) then it would add 60-80hp which means up to 235 hp. Pretty good if you ask me!
The price is cheap, seems like maybe they cut corners somewhere? I would consider this kit if there were good reviews on it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't know personally anything about the kit, but I have read about it on CSS...the people there love Hahn and ZZP...great quality from both as far as I understand it. Hahn is a lot more expensive though.

Garrett no longer makes their kit so they no longer have it on their website and I'm leery of any company online that "sells" it since you know they don't stock them and there's no way to tell if they can get their hands on one. That's the main reason I wouldn't get a Garrett setup...price is the other reason.

Here's a link to a thread on CSS...you can judge for yourself after reading it:

Hahn or ZZP? - Cobalt SS Network

·
Registered
22 Posts
the garrett turbo is awesome, but make sure you do the proper upgrades that will be needed to handle the power, Make sure you put at least a stage 2 clutch in, otherwise the factory clutch is gonna blow like its cool

·
Registered
22 Posts
but hahn is definately the way to go if u have the money

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Garrett Kit on my car, and I like it. I had to get the car retuned for it, but it was worth it. I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet. I am trying to save money to get a clutch kit first.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have the Garrett Kit on my car, and I like it. I had to get the car retuned for it, but it was worth it. I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet. I am trying to save money to get a clutch kit first.
Awesome. What boost you running at, and other than the kit what have you put into the engine? also, did you do the install yourself? It would be cool to know how much hp you're at.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am hitting 10lbs. of boost. That is with no boost controller. I haven't done anything internal yet. Just bolt ons like lightweight pulley, colder plugs, CAI, 42lb. injectors, and full exhaust with high flow cat. I installed the kit myself. It took some time, and some busted nukles. The guy that did the final tune on my car did some kind of figuring and said I was hitting about 220 hp. I am not going to claim that until I get it dynoed.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.