Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed a turn signal switch on my 07 cobalt sedan. It works just fine and sits in there perfectly. My issue is NOW my key wont come out of the ignition without hitting the little white relase button manually. I dont know what happened. It is worth noting that once i opend the steering column cover i noticed to wires jerry rigged together. One is red and one is red with a white stripe. They were twisted together and uncovered. Could i have grounded a power wire out causing this issue? Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It may just be a coincidence. But then again you said there were wires twisted together. There is a know problem with the switch inside the automatic shifters. When it’s in park, it’s supposed to touch the switch and allow the key to release. I would call the mechanism a solenoid that is activated inside the column. I had a coupe come in last year with this problem. I believe the part in the shifter cannot be serviced and results in the whole shifter having to be replaced. But then again, you said there were wires twisted together.

I also had to replace the turn signal switch, they all seem to break off on GM cars of this era.

You should hear an audible click from when you release the shifter release button. I believe that is the solenoid clicking forward so the key will not be able to release from the cylinder. Really screwy but it’s like that on a lot of cars. Luckily they did make that release button. Not all cars had that.

I’m trying to remember when this feature was added. Probably in the ‘80s. I believe it is so the cars steering column will not lock if the car is moving in gear and the driver turns the key to the off position. If you notice modern cars can’t have the key removed out of park position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may just be a coincidence. But then again you said there were wires twisted together. There is a know problem with the switch inside the automatic shifters. When it’s in park, it’s supposed to touch the switch and allow the key to release. I would call the mechanism a solenoid that is activated inside the column. I had a coupe come in last year with this problem. I believe the part in the shifter cannot be serviced and results in the whole shifter having to be replaced. But then again, you said there were wires twisted together.

I also had to replace the turn signal switch, they all seem to break off on GM cars of this era.

You should hear an audible click from when you release the shifter release button. I believe that is the solenoid clicking forward so the key will not be able to release from the cylinder. Really screwy but it’s like that on a lot of cars. Luckily they did make that release button. Not all cars had that.

I’m trying to remember when this feature was added. Probably in the ‘80s. I believe it is so the cars steering column will not lock if the car is moving in gear and the driver turns the key to the off position. If you notice modern cars can’t have the key removed out of park position.
So what would be the remedy for fixing this issue? I know the button is there and it does work but i would like to fix it. Its a friends car and we are going custom (ish) with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue with my 06 - turned out to the the switch in the shifter - you could tell by wiggling the shifter and you could hear the solenoid in the column clicking off and on
GM's solution is replace the entire shifter - I got the numbers off the switch - was a couple of years ago - seem to remember Delphi part number - anyway found the switch style - and dimensions and bought just a switch from Digikey - $3 good as new
On a 2008 (and I know they changed colors between 06 & 08 in at least part of the car) the wire that feeds the circuit is RED/WHT goes to a terminal on the ignition switch, comes from a 2A fuse which on the schematic its labeled IGN/SW PK3+Fuse 8 - the other side of the ignition switch has a BRN wire that goes to the release solenoid - then from the other side of the solenoid is a D-GN/WHT which goes to the park switch and from there to ground.
I guess I'd check the fuse first - its probably in the car at the BCM
let us know JP

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the reason the dealership will recommend the entire shifter assembly be replaced is because it would have to be taken apart. You’ll find they will avoid taking things apart and just replace entire assemblies, whatever it may be. Maybe look for one at the junkyard though. I know I have installed used ones before, usually it was for one of the used car dealers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts