Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2006 Cobolt LT 2.2. 150k miles
I busted my radiator which caused my car to over heat. After I fixed that the car would sometimes start and sometimes not for about a week. now it wont start at all.

It turns over but wont start
has new battery
fuel pump is delivering fuel to the rail and is working
brand new spark plugs
tested for spark on all my plugs their good
tested all air and fuel related fuses and relays their good
changed the oil
Checked compression it is good
took off air intake and sprayed starter fluid into the engine still nothing

Any ideas PLEASE!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you have spark and fuel, all that's missing is timing, so I would look at my crank position sensor or connection. I don't know what overheating has to do with the crank sensor unless you accidentally, cut,broke or disconnected it when changing the radiator.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Hmm, I've changed the radiator and there is no reason any sensor should've gotten disconnected during that...

It would be worthwhile to do a compression test - it's more than possible you warped the head when you overheated the engine - which can actually open all the cylinders to each other, especially if you didn't change the head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow you guys are great thank you for the reply did a dry compression test got 130, 120, 130, 120psi I will check out the sensor.
Also, the tachometer registered nothing when I crank it as well.
hopefully it is the sensor I just want to diagnose it so I can fix it

quick question if my crank sensor is bad would i get a spark?

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

still working on checking the crank sensor but I did pull up a code P2431 secondary air intake I dont think this has anything to do with it cranking but not starting.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Any kind of test anyone thinks I should conduct let me know

Fuel good
Air good
Spark good blue spark
Timing not checked, working on testing Crank sensor
exhaust I fel air from the tail pipe I think its good
compression 130, 120, 130, 120 psi

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes, you will still get spark but not at the right time. Timing is derived by the PCM comparing intake cam position with the crank position.

The secondary injection code would not stop it from starting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
Update I just disconnected the battery for 15 min reconnected it and it puttered and tried to start
the biggest breakthrough I had in a couple of weeks
snall I know but at least there is hope

also could it be the cam pos sensor too or only the crank pos sensor

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Cam position doesn't usually stop it from starting it is mostly for fine timing. Look for frayed wires and burnt fuses especially the IP Ignition one fuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
about to test crank pos sensor will keep updated I am a Recruiter for the Marine Corps so sorry about the slow reaction time no time in day.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
so sorry about the slow reaction time no time in day.
Nice thing about forums is that reply time isn't a big issue - and most of us are on here far too much. :laugh:

I'm thoroughly convinced Coby only logs off when he goes to sleep for the night.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm just a very good liar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.