Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to just add tweeters to the stock speakers? Or would i have to add a whole component system?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
take speaker wire connect the tweeter to the speaker wire. Splice your stock Front Left/Right Rear Left Right speaker wire and connect the speaker wire from the tweeter to the spliced wire running to your stock speakers. Should work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh ok thanks i figured thats how i would do it i just wasnt sure if it could be done.

im thinking of putting them in the doors how do you think that would sound?

·
Registered
455 Posts
you definitely need a component system. you only want the tweeters playing the high range. if you crank the volume the tweeters will blow if their pushing out the bass too

·
Registered
455 Posts
oh ok thanks i figured thats how i would do it i just wasnt sure if it could be done.

im thinking of putting them in the doors how do you think that would sound?
depends where in the doors. a great spot is to put them on that little triangle spot where the mirrors are on the outside. just dremel the hole and pop them in there. its the best spot for them acoustically

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea im thinking of that spot

Also, if the tweeters have a crossover built in them then they wont push out any bass right?

·
Registered
455 Posts
if they have a built in crossover you should be fine. idk i've never seen those. as long as you wire it up right it should be fine. just when you install it make sure you slowly increase the volume, listening for the bass coming out of the tweeters. if you hear nothing you should be good. but dont just get in and crank the volume right away.

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah if you got ones similar to the first link it should work no problem

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i havent bought yet im still looking around but the built in crosover is better than the in line one? or is it basically the same thing?

·
Registered
455 Posts
i think its basically the same thing. from what i've read the in line crossovers are generally better quality, but also a higher price. if your not looking to win any sound competitions then it shouldnt really make a difference

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea im just looking for something to give me more highs because my subs drown out the music. What would you recomend between those two links i gave you?

·
Registered
498 Posts
yea im just looking for something to give me more highs because my subs drown out the music. What would you recomend between those two links i gave you?
If you have your sub running with the stock head unit then it will pump out too much base. I have that and I had to turn the mid and treble up quite a bit to compensate. I am still not happy with the sound but it does sound better that way.

I think the problem is that the full range of sound is still coming out of the 4 stock speakers and even though I filter out the higher frequencies with my sub amp crossover, the lower frequencies don't get filtered out of the other 4 speakers because there is no preamp output on the stock head unit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i would go with the second link for the inline tweeters. they're only $10 more, and from the reviews they had ppl loved them and they sound like they'd be perfect for what you need them for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.