Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if its still possible to get a twincharge kit for an ss sc?
It seems like it is dead but I was curious about it. Seems unique and makes decent power.
Also, I do not want to go lsj turbo.

Lemme know what you guys think!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
anyone know if its still possible to get a twincharge kit for an ss sc?
It seems like it is dead but I was curious about it. Seems unique and makes decent power.
Also, I do not want to go lsj turbo.

Lemme know what you guys think!
ZZP used to make the kits, but stopped because it wasn't worth the trouble. they made more power just going turbo so stopped selling the kits if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what it seems like. the lsj turbo kits are just wicked expensive

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
thats what it seems like. the lsj turbo kits are just wicked expensive
So don't buy them out right. Piece it together. It will cost a lot less to get quality used parts than buying it brand new. Ask Bankerbalt. He just finished his turbo setup on his 2.2 (yes I know it's not the LSJ, but 99% of the stuff is identical).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much did you spend

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
So $3500 total basically lol

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
and another $5000 building the engine to handle boost. Cant forget about that

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
and another $5000 building the engine to handle boost. Cant forget about that
This we can in this particular thread tho. The OP is an SS/SC already so it's already setup for boost :), but normally no, we can't forget it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
:( my apologies you are correct good sir.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
ok heres a question since this thread is about the dual turbo setup. what about a compound turbo setup? Would that be a descent setup on our cars? If I understand right it allows you to use a large turbo while using a smaller turbo so you don't get the turbo lag in lower rpm's.

this seems like it would be a sweet setup. pros, cons?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
if you don't have a big turbo to begin with and you have balanced correctly of air to the turbo (up-pipe, intercooler, tubular exhaust), you shouldn't experience turbo lag at all when racing. Your lag on a stock turbo SS with mentioned above should be in the mid 2k rpm range.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
hmm. nice to know.

so what your saying is a compound turbo setup is just a hassle/pita when you could just make a good system in the first place?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
ok heres a question since this thread is about the dual turbo setup. what about a compound turbo setup? Would that be a descent setup on our cars? If I understand right it allows you to use a large turbo while using a smaller turbo so you don't get the turbo lag in lower rpm's.

this seems like it would be a sweet setup. pros, cons?
Ok, well a compound setup is a whole different beast. I could explain it to you in here, however, it would take a LONG time to explain every detail in the setup. Here are the basics.

The smaller turbo runs off the exhaust mani directly, after the exhaust gasses pass through the smaller turbo it runs to the bigger turbo to help spool that one. While waiting for the bigger turbo to spool the smaller turbo does boost like it normally would. However the intake air for the smaller turbo is drawn through the bigger turbo. Once spooled the bigger turbo feeds the compressed air from the bigger turbo into the inlet of the smaller turbo. This allows for the "compound" compression of air, allowing for MUCH more power. Basically being able to get a t4+ size turbo power into a t25 turbo. It has very little lag and has a monstorous top end power. Has the potential to create VERY high amounts of horsepower with not much boost at all.

Now that being said, it is VERY tricky to get these setups stable. On top of that, it takes a LOT of space to do this. On balts and g5's, you won't have the space necessary to do this type of setup. Sky/Solstices's do tho because of the transverse engine setup (the rwd setup). If you want more information on this, feel free to ask me and I can go into details for you if you'd like.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

hmm. nice to know.

so what your saying is a compound turbo setup is just a hassle/pita when you could just make a good system in the first place?
Not exactly. You can get the same power as a compound setup with just a single turbo, but compounds don't have the boost lag that a single bigger turbo will.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

if you don't have a big turbo to begin with and you have balanced correctly of air to the turbo (up-pipe, intercooler, tubular exhaust), you shouldn't experience turbo lag at all when racing. Your lag on a stock turbo SS with mentioned above should be in the mid 2k rpm range.
This is wrong. Regardless of the air the turbo will flow to the engine, does not make the biggest difference in spool time. The exhaust side is what makes the biggest difference. The header, turbine housing, wastegate size/setting, downpipe all are what contribute more to spool time than anything after the compressor. The smaller the exhaust housing stuff the faster the spool, but the worse top end you will have, the bigger, the slower the spool time but the bigger top end you will have. This is where people use hybrid turbos. HUGE intake sides, and small exhaust sides (like my HTA86 for example, or even the HTA3794 (to which the 3794 has a 40r compressor housing with a regular 35r exhaust housing, allowing for the spool time of a 35r but the power of a 40r without the boost lag)).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
nah I wont ask you to go into detail, you'll just lose me anyway lol, don't forget im a N/A v8 guy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was just curious about the twin charging. I dont need info about the lsj turbo swap lol already been there thats why i said no for turbo swap....
Seems kinda unique. Theres plenty of tc cars but twincharged? doesnt exist. But seems like no one knows anything about it today

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you know its unreliable? And yes I know more power can be made so 400 HP with low end sc torque is more than enough.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.