Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 sport coupe. I have read in numerous articles that the 2.4 engine that I have in the sport is borderline where you should use Premium gas. I know the SS engine does but was wondering about the sport model I have.

I find it weird that it would need Premium but as i said there have been reviews done on it saying you should use it.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is "recommended" that you use premium 91 octane for the 2.4L engine. However, i have been using regular since i got mine and i havent had any problems. 91 octane will just give you slightly increased performance, but 89 wont hurt it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I thought. Is the performance using 91 noticable?

·
Banned
161 Posts
ss/na=sport= prem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure how the ignition system on our cars work, I never looked into it. But I wouldn't spend the extra money for it if you can't even notice it, especially with the price of gas now.

·
Banned
384 Posts
i run premium in my tank. ive been running it since i got the car. i think it may be in my head but when i put in regular i feel like my car runs like dirt. and for 25 cents extra...oh well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The higher the octane level, the less amount of carbon build up you get. Thats why high performance cars like vettes and mustangs use 91. The injection system clogs less. I put 91 in my 2.2 once or twice a year, just to help clean things up a bit. Theres no noticable difference though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Any "difference" you might feel is in your head. Octane has nothing at all to do with your cars power, all it does is have a higher resistance to knock which is why high compression and FI engines use it. It's nothing more then that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
couldn't we all just go Hydrogen instead of paying over 4 dollars for gas:p

·
Registered
83 Posts
What are the performance specs of Hydrogen. Hearing about it on here is the first I've heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
hydrogen is a gas and water that is unlimited and better then oil.meaning if anyone changes their car to hydrogen,we would probably get 80 to 100mpg with hydrogen and it burns more efficient then regular gas from gas stations.People claim you will damage your motor but with some work and also if the cars are still carbuerated then there is no problem.First time carbuerator came out for cars as a test, a man used hydrogen not oil. Also hydrogen is another good way of making a bomb,but it will not in anyway explode the cars up.you need to do some modification to the motors to make it run with out problems if it were to explode or say damage the motor since its water.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hydrogen is a base particle, gas only. Water is a compound, its not the same. Water is produced when the combustible hydrogen is mixed in exact measurements with the amount of O2 (oxygen) coming from the intake. This is an incredibly complex procedure, requiring a total overhaul of the entire powerplant of a car. This is not something any average guy with a carburetor could do.

·
Banned
384 Posts
for a sciene project this last year. a couple of buddies i know ran their go.ped off hydrogen. it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm sure that was fun using hydrogen.

·
Banned
384 Posts
actually i lied. they made it run off water. i didnt really help i just saw the end result. pretty cool tho that they actually got it working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I move for a vote on switching from oil to hydrogen. Do I have a motion on the floor?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm sure its possible to do if done right,just have to switch probably a few parts on the car just to make it run,if that is the case I am up for it,a hydrogen generator would be nice to use as well to run the whole house with out having a electric bill anymore and gas bill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mythbusters took a hydrogen tank and fed the hose directly to a carberator (sp) the car actually ran, they shut it off and tried it again, then they stopped cause the car backfired, and lit the hydrogen coming out of the hose, their exact quote was "OK, experiment over" it was a stock motor too, I was surprised when I saw that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
a hydrogen generator would be nice to use as well to run the whole house with out having a electric bill anymore and gas bill.
I'm building a new house on the MS Gulf Coast. This is a lil off topic, but i did some research into solar power. The system I would need costs a lil over 4 grand, but would end up paying for itself in 5 to 10 years. Plus, if I generate more than enough power, the local power plant would purchase the extra power. They would pay me! Hell yeah! The systems batteries last up to 10 days as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.