Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so when I first bought the balt i decided to take the factory antenna off & just cut it cuz I didnt wanna buy one just yet. That's been almost a year ago, I need a cleaner look...well my new short antenna has came in and NOW I CANT GET MY FACTORY ANTENNA OFF! Ugh, I've only tried once, gonna wait til the weekend to try it again, but when I turn it, the WHOLE antenna assembly turns w/ it and makes the antenna base all crooked, shew...its fixed & at least sittin how it was b4... idk if my friend put something on the threads or what when he put it back on for me, but it makes me angry! HAHAHA... I'm thinkin about just taking the entire assembly out so i can get a good grip on BOTH parts...well anyways, just wanted to rant... have any of yall had this problem? :notrust:

·
Registered
310 Posts
i have had this problem before. had to go into trunk hold it on the inside and turn it from the outside. i had to have two guys from work do this for me. maybe this could help you out.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have had this problem before. had to go into trunk hold it on the inside and turn it from the outside. i had to have two guys from work do this for me. maybe this could help you out.
gotchya, thanks... that's what i was trying 2 do, but i couldnt get a good grip on it, hopefully sat. i'll b able to get this done, lol

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you were turning the whole assembly it sounds like you may have broken the "pinch" welds that hold the base to the bracket. You are not alone on this...I've been there when another Cobalt owner couldn't get his antenna off either (2 years ago exactly). Even with 2 guys holding the base he couldn't unscrew the antenna...ended up buying a new base because he had broken the pinch welds. Probably cross-threaded from the factory or corrosion set in. there are a number of threads on this problem...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
lol i posted this same thread about a month ago. same exact thing. i got my short antenna in then i got to take my antenna off and it wont come off. You can try holding the housing inside while you turn it.

But what happened to me was the antenna eventually just broke right off.The damn antenna like welded to the housing somehow. idn it was weird it just snapped off. still havnt got it fixed.

But i would recommend taking it to the dealership and have them take it off so if they brake it they can fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i've contemplated takin mine off and just shaving it
yeah thats what i want to do. i have a pioneer avic z2. Built in hardrive. i never listen to the radio lol. anything i want is on the hardrive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
nice... maybe i'll try something dumb one day like mounting my antenna under the car... thatd be kool

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha, idk how i did this, but i prolly did... grr, oh well, i'll think of something. I NEVER use the radio anyways, i hate whip antennas. Shaving it would be awesome, but I really cant afford to paint it all back when I'm done... eh even if it does break, that's not THAT big of a deal, i just wish I knew it would be a pain before I bought the shorty. OOOH WELL!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I snapped mine out on accident when trying to get it off. I had to buy a whole new thing so I could put my shorty on... But it sux now anyway b/c it being short, I don't get any radio stations. It's cool though, I have enough music to listen to for now =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.