Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i jacked my car up today to try and do something about my resonator scraping and found grease on the inside of one of my wheels. took the wheel off, and found this....im pretty sure its a bad cv joint. any other thoughts? there is no clunking or anything. so maybe just the boot?
does anyone think it would be worth upgrading my axels if i have to replace the joint? are the lsj axels lighter(by any chance), or just stonger?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
it's a busted CV boot, get it replaced IMMEDIATELY, cause if you dont, you will blow the joint

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it's a busted CV boot, get it replaced IMMEDIATELY, cause if you dont, you will blow the joint
thanks bro!
you know what kind of grease to put in there, cv joint grease. or anything special that gm threw a monkey wrench in on it? id like to at least get some in there till its replaced.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yep you've got a torn CV boot. You could replace the boot, but it would probably be cheaper/easier just to replace the axle. In the mean time you can just greese it up with any standard grease. Even though the boot it torn, you con still drive it for a long time. First it will start clicking, then just get worse and worse..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yep you've got a torn CV boot. You could replace the boot, but it would probably be cheaper/easier just to replace the axle. In the mean time you can just greese it up with any standard grease. Even though the boot it torn, you con still drive it for a long time. First it will start clicking, then just get worse and worse..
oh, on the contrary my good man, here's a DIy for pulling apart CV driveshafts to replace the boot:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. im gonna try the stealership route first. ive got 1000 miles left on the warranty. so ill see. the worst thing they can do is tell me to go F$%^ myself. lol. besides, if the salesmen at that dealership are any indication of their tech's, they wont even notice the new springs.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Good post CK! I had no idea it was that easy!

Good luck man! I hope the dealership just takes care of it! they should.. Its not like you snapped it, the boot just tore.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If anyone wants, i'll get all the vids related to the CV joint/boot replacement, and tag them into a DIY for ya'll

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i just dropped my car off at the dealership. hopefully they dont notice the springs.
and i know one of their techs has a modded lsj. so hopefully hes the one to look at it, maybe he would be willing to overlook the aftermarket :bigsmile:
wish me luck.
oh and ill hit you up CK if they wont replace it for me. thanks!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
sweet, ill do that tomorrow if its gonna take a while. it shouldnt though, if its just the boot. if its the joint, you think they would replace both with lsj axels? LOL!!!!!!!!!
I don't think LSJ axles are interchangeable with the 2.2. If they are I could get some cheap from a buddy of mine that upgraded!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well for the couple of people that might care, the dealership is going to replace my cv boot under warranty. i complained about the intermediate steering shaft(even though its not knocking) cause im under 1000 left on warranty. and they are going to replace that too! and ill get an alignment after lowering also. so its working out good!

oh btw, ive done some more research, and the rear axle is interchangeable with lsj's, and i cant find anything, anywhere that says anything about the fronts. so im gonna guess no.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
well for the couple of people that might care, the dealership is going to replace my cv boot under warranty. i complained about the intermediate steering shaft(even though its not knocking) cause im under 1000 left on warranty. and they are going to replace that too! and ill get an alignment after lowering also. so its working out good!

oh btw, ive done some more research, and the rear axle is interchangeable with lsj's, and i cant find anything, anywhere that says anything about the fronts. so im gonna guess no.
Haha! Awesome man! way to play them! Get anything you can while you can!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.