Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Anybody else have issues with the A/C sucking down fuel economy? I spend the majority of my time on the road without the air on, because I can watch the Econ estimator drop .1 mpg at a time. Disgusting. Any ideas for curbing this? It's always hot in South Florida, even when it's cold.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Anything that takes power from the engine drives down mpg, wether it be wipers, lights or A/C. You have to accept the lower mpg if you want cool comfort just don't set it to so cold maybe, you're not trying to stop icecream from melting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol @ stopping ice cream from melting. I will give the a/c system credit there, it is freezing. None of vehicles have ever had this kind of parasitic a/c. My 03 Accord EX (2.4L) averages 28 mpg with the a/c running all the time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In my winter beater (2002 Neon, 90hp lol) if you go WOT and turn on the A/C you can really tell what a difference it makes!
Of course the Cobalt automatically disengages the A/C when you go WOT. It knows you can't have both :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Options to improve are to cycle the A/C on and off.
If you don't want to do that you could get an underdrive pulley.
Or......Racing CoolShirt
I do most of my driving with the a/c off. When it gets REAL hot, I do exactly that^ (cycle the a/c). Im looking into an underdrive pulley for my 2003 Accord, because the lights dim constantly (and I plan on having it for a looooong time. I only have 48k miles on it at present.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
All car A/Cs are parasitic. One tip to keep things cooler switch your fresh air off and recirculate your cabin air. That way you are cooling cooler air compared to the air outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.