Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation where the drivers side inner pad is totally gone and the outer pad is still fine. The passenger side is wearing normally with both sides about the same as the outer pad on the drivers side.
Would it be a bad caliper on the drivers side or is there other possible reasons for the uneven pad wear?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, when you say sliders, I assume the two bolts with boots on them. If so, will replacing the caliper correct that issue...they are part of the caliper, correct?
Or, is there a way to possibly "unseize" them?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only if you get a complete calliper kit with calliper brackets included. But why replace all this hardware if you only need to clean the slide pins. If you take this apart you will see very quickly the physics of the braking system and quickly realize how much money you can save. Don't know who did your brakes last but they probably did it wrong ( Sorry it it's you ).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I didn't do them last time. Just trying to help out my daughter's friend. I will pull the caliper and try to lube the slides and get it back into operational condition. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take the Sliders out and clean them with a wire wheel. If one has a rubber piece on the end, make sure you know which position it came from. Now coat the Sliders in brake lube from any parts store and put them back in. Of course replace the pads. Lube up both sides as the other side won't be far behind.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If your pins look like this definitely clean or replace with appropriate greases.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, one of the slides was completely siezed, I could barely move it with a vice grips and it isn't coming out period. Can you just buy the caliper bracket or do you have to buy the caliper with it as a set?

Also, is it OK to just replace one side if the other side is currently working OK? Money is an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Work it, it'll come out. If you have a torch you can apply some heat to the bracket and the slider will normally pop right out.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Yes you can replace one side but I've never seen the bracket sold separately from the caliper.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weaver auto parts. I was kind of surprised they would sell just the bracket as well. Less than ten bucks with trading in the old bracket. However, I have to be honest with you guys. This was on a 2006 pontiac grand am. I just trust this forum and figured the advice would be applicable to this car as well as a cobalt.
I appreciate all the help and advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yah, Weaver doesnt get a lot of national attention as far as auto parts stores go, but I like them. And they carry Wagner Thermoquiet brakes which I like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.