Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I say unfortunately because I am 17, I make 8.25 an hour and a little over $1000 a month after taxes. This is my first car payment so instead of modding it I have kinda been saving to pay it off quick. But I hate the steel wheels. I was thinking to put $200 a month away and after 5-6 months get a nice set of wheels and tires. Instead I could do that and just put that into a payment. I know the smart better thing to do would be pay it off first. But I fear that when college starts I may not be able to mod at all. So I'm not sure what I want to do. Any suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Nothing wrong with saving for some wheels while paying off your car.

Given the fact that the economy is in the toilet, at $8.25 you're pulling in the same wage as a lot of adults. Save, get yourself some wheels and enjoy the fruits of your labor. your car payment will be there :)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I have to agree with Strato, there's no harm in wanting to climb that ladder to something more, and it's good that you have your priorities. Eat, sleep, work, get those things out of the way, then shovel some money into your car. What's the good of having a sweet car that put you in debt to drive? Focus on paying her off and set a couple of bucks on the side for mods. Good plan.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just do what I did... Stop Paying your car payment and buy stuff you want. :wine

HA! NO. DO NOT DO THAT....They Do Actually come take your car and your credit goes to poop!

See above posts for Real World Advice!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, only doing about thirty because I like to race car too much. Yes, race car is a verb. I gotta check it since I reset after my K&N drop in.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

To stay on topic, you can troll craigslist a little for your area. I got a really good deal on there recently. It's all about opportunity.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Buy what u can used and save your self a ton of money 90% of the shit on my car is used.
Learn to do the work your self and your golden
I've easily saved over 5grand by doing just that

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do my own work. I don't really know what I'm doing, but that's why I'm on this forum! I work my ass off so I feel I deserve something nice. I actually saw a set of wheels for sale in someone's yard on the way to work today, but I didn't get to check the lug pattern.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, base model. 4X100. I doubt they are the right lug pattern, around here people drive 4X4's. They are chrome(or at least a shiny finish) which I would rather black. If I could get a good deal on them then I could always get them powder coated later

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not too bad at making things look good with a spray can. I might be able to make something pretty cool

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've sacificed my kid for car parts.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.