Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so I'm just looking for a cheap muffler nothing too special that will give me a deep sound and something that looks nice. I have never purchased a muffler before but sometimes i see them on the civics and other little rice burners out there and they have the big 4 inch tip but then a little like 1.5 inch tip inside of that.

Ill post a pic of what I'm trying to explain, but anyways on to my question. Is that little hole just the silencer and can it be removed so it looks like you actually have a 4 inch tip? I hate the look of that little hole inside the muffler and just want to know if it is removable, and once it is removed does it look like a 4 inch hole for your muffler?

Another side question, just wondering if this one or similar type would fit our cobalt's. Also how much does it run to have the thing welded on to your car?

If anyone has a pic of theirs without the little silencer thing in it, or knows a link to a website with out the little hole on it I would appreciate it :)

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
that does just look like a silencer but i dont know for sure, why not just get a tsudo n1 off of ebay, they can be had for pretty cheap. but if you dont want to get a full catback i had a shop weld a magnaflow onto my celica and they charged me 50

·
Registered
82 Posts
yes that piece on the right side of the picture is the silencer, it can be removed by unscrewing that bolt on the bottom of the muffler. just picture that muffler with the inside just being black and thats what it looks like

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok so im not quite sure what inlet size universal muffler i would have to buy? If someone knows what size pipe is on the 08 cobalt i would appreciate it.

My guess is a 2'' inlet but I'm not quite sure.

Im also wondering when you go to have it installed do they cut off the old fat muffler that is already on it or do they install the new muffler right in front of the old one?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also looking at the length of some of these universal fart cans, and most of them are around 18 inches long...I went out and measured the actual length of the current muffler and it is more than 30 inches! (from start to tip)

So when i go to have this installed do they add more piping to my exhaust and if so should I bring my own piping, or would they charge me for it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Go to any muffler shop a couple feet of pipe would be pretty cheap to get it all welded up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just make sure when they weld the new pipe to extend the muffler that they don't go smaller, it will make your exhaust sound like crap. I saw one the other day and when I looked at the way it was welded on they took a pipe smaller than the original and welded it on and then expanded it at the muffler. It sounded strange. Try and keep the original size to the muffler.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I got my tsudo from never enough auto (they're a vendor on this site) for cheap and it sounds great! The silencer is easy to take out too. There's two little bolts that you can just take out and the silencer comes right out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how about the hangers? Do the muffler shops rig the new one up so it doest bounce all over the place when you hit bumps?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I installed it myself, well my boyfriend and his friend did, but we needed to get extra hangers so it wasn't so close to the bumper, but other than that, it doesn't bounce.

·
Registered
248 Posts
how about the hangers? Do the muffler shops rig the new one up so it doest bounce all over the place when you hit bumps?
if im not mistaken, i have the same exact muffler like the one in the pic you posted. i just took it to a muffler shop, for a cheap price, in about 20 minutes, they installed it. abd yes they supplied me with extra piping and hangers.

i love mine and the sound

·
Registered
10 Posts
look spend the money and get u an universal round magnaflow muffler u will be more pleased with that than a fart cannon. Believe me I know i had one the sound was awful. But with a magnaflow it sounds a whole lot better and the performace is 3x better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would you guys say its safe to order a universal muffler with a 3'' inlet. My main concern is that it would be too big and the shop couldn't install it...or it would cost extra for the expander.

Let me know what u guys think :)

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
i don't feel like starting a new thread to ask this but is the gm extrude honed exhaust manifold the same thing as a header? like an after market header

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.