Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys my name is Devon I live in Winnipeg Manitoba. Recently I purchased a 07 cobalt LT and I love the thing but I feel like it can be so much more I already did a few minor changes and fixes such as rust.visors and some new rubber(tires) and spark plugs I upgraded from the stock wheels to the ones from the pontiac pursuit but don’t worry I took the center caps out so it doesn’t say Pontiac lol I’m just looking for some advice Is my engine good for a tiny turbo? Also swapping out my steering wheel for an ss wheel but that’s the ONLY ss part that will go on it as I’m not trying to be a fraud I just love the leather vs my plastic wheel.I’m not looking for major horse power just wanna know if I’m good to add like 8 pounds of boost to it or not? or should I build the motor and go the n/a route ? Open to all suggestions

·
Registered
457 Posts
My LT has the leather steering wheel. Maybe not all of them did. Also has the leather shift knob.

Doing a turbo would be cool. How much is your budget. It would be ideal to build the entire engine to handle it. Otherwise the engine will likely blow up. Assuming it has not super low mileage. It may last a short while but doing things right will cost more than you probably paid for the car initially. Honestly if your going to go that route turboing the stock 2.2L, you may want to also have another car to drive. There’s been people that have done it but I can’t imagine it’s going to be real reliable until the engine is fully built.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My LT has the leather steering wheel. Maybe not all of them did. Also has the leather shift knob.

Doing a turbo would be cool. How much is your budget. It would be ideal to build the entire engine to handle it. Otherwise the engine will likely blow up. Assuming it has not super low mileage. It may last a short while but doing things right will cost more than you probably paid for the car initially. Honestly if your going to go that route turboing the stock 2.2L, you may want to also have another car to drive. There’s been people that have done it but I can’t imagine it’s going to be real reliable until the engine is fully built.
Budget is around 3-4K tops I can get a turbo kit from zzp for around 1k and I’d like the rest to be dumped into the motor and/or suspension car is at 138000kms drives like a dream tho almost 0 rust underneath needs paint corrected as well along with a body kit of some sort any suggestions on body kits?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Devon! my name is JJ, and I am on a similar mission, I have an 09 Cobalt LT Sedan that has been my everyday driver for years, and now im finally gonna show her the love she deserves and fully upgrade it as much as possible. Already have Rims, Tires, Coilovers and other suspension mods otw first, but once those are done, im going the Turbo route as well. make sure to leave enough in the budget for exhaust system upgrades, as those are super-important to get maximum HP out of your build and keep us posted on how it goes, and I will do the same!

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
They didn't - my '07 1LT does not have either. Might have been part of the 2LT package, though.

So, as far as extra power goes, I put my supercharger on (2.9" pulley, header/downpipe, SS/TC exhaust, so I run around 14-15psi of boost, depending on the weather) 12 years (and about 85-90k miles) ago this August. It's an old build, but still runs great. Stock internals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought an lsj intake and supercharger to upgrade my ls, I cant find the alternator bracket anywhere, gm says its discontinued.. does any know of another source or bracket ?? Alternator Bracket 12584365

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
I would check on CobaltSS.net - that's where I got the vast majority of my parts. Just searched it on eBay and got no hits, but might pop up here and there. Might also need to go find one in a junkyard. I do remember that being one of the harder parts to find, even back when I did my swap when they were still making the damn things, in 2009.

Another option would be to see how ZZP does their belt in their kit...if I recall, they don't use the LSJ tensioner or the relocated alternator. I'm not sure how they route the belt, though, if they don't, but I do recall them using the stock 2.2/2.4L tensioner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would really appreciate a link with the diagram, I definitely will post my findings . As of now i bought a used one off ebay and will be getting in shortly in may. I also found another ebayer who sells tons of forged lsj stuff aswel .

jreiland5 on ebay . " jreiland5 " although shipping took some time the parts are genuine lsj parts.

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
Oh I know who that is, he's always posting stuff for sale on FB - has a ton of parts.

FWIW, used is fine on the vast majority of parts and way cheaper.

Doesn't look like ZZP has any pictures of the belt routing for theirs.

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
Looks like they use an alternator spacer and an idler pulley that allows the belt to route as necessary without needing the LSJ tensioner, or the relocated alternator bracket the LSJ uses.

Mine uses the LSJ setup, but ZZP didn't have their kit out until a few years after I did my swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im going to attempt to install it without the tensioner , (wish me luck) just to see if i can get a belt situated . I think the alternator pulley will get the least amount of traction.. but hey.. I cant find an experiment similar to this one.. F it ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
you wouldn't happen to know how to wire the 6 pin throttle body to the 8 pin lsj one? would you lol? I had to replace all the connections on the injectors becausee the stock g5 ones would hit the fuel rail and the injector. now i have to figure out the map sensor and throttle body sensor. Ill make a complete guide to supercharging the g5 along with all the steps im learning.. crediting all those who help. i might even go into making a new bracket.

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
I would, I have one on my car. I used to have a pinout somewhere - you double up two of the wires. I just need to find the diagram.

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
Found it, on my build thread on CSS:

8 Pin

Pin A (Dark Green): TP Sensor 1 Signal
Pin B (Light Blue/Black): 5-Volt Ref 2
Pin C (Black): Low Reference
Pin D (Purple): TP Sensor 2 Signal
Pin E (Yellow): TAC Motor control 1
Pin F (Brown): TAC Motor control 2
Pin G (Gray): 5-Volt Ref 1
Pin H (Black/White): Low Reference

6-Pin
Pin A (Brown): TAC Motor control 2
Pin B (Yellow): TAC Motor control 1
Pin C (Tan): Low Reference
Pin D (Dark Green): TP Sensor 1 Signal
Pin E (Gray): 5-Volt Reference
Pin F (Purple): TP Sensor 2 Signal

8-Pin >>> 6 Pin

A > D (Dark Green)
B > E (Gray)
C > C (Tan)
D > F (Purple)
E > B (Yellow)
F > A (Brown)
G > E (Gray)
H > C (Tan)

B/G both go to Pin E (Gray)
C/H both go to Pin C (Tan)

·
Registered
11 Posts
So this is what I have so far on the 8 pin .. using your diagram im going to splice them like this then connect it as a 6 pin to the harness

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
Yup - that looks correct!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will your throttle body open and close while the key is turned forward? Without the engine on? I cant seem to get the throttle body to work. Not sure what I did wrong. But its where im at right now. I could have a bad throttle body.

·
Say What again!
6,254 Posts
I don't expect it would, but I can't say I've ever tried, either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Throttle body re learn might have something to do with it ... then my dumb a** realized I hadn’t relocated the mass air flow sensor and is just sitting in a glove to keep the dust away. Relocating Now lmfao 🤣

1 - 20 of 23 Posts