Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good News! I got throttle response!! And a ruff idle without engine stall , all without the supercharger belt connected. I bought a 69 inch 6 rib belt that is waayyy to long. Measured 58 inches (estimate) so I will use like 57 or 56 “ .. the lsj is a 6 rib belt, so ill either have to cut one rib off or get a 5 ribbed one from napa by size.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
Oh, it's addicting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought Hp tuners and , i got the belt on , working , without the tensioner, .. shredded the first belt, forgot to put the dipstick tube in.. LOL ohh its such an adventure

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wonder what the chances of this working on 05-06 models. I swear I remember seeing a SC kit for them back when they came out. Just how would you tune a 16 bit pcm is the main stumper.

Any vids of the car on the road. Looks interesting.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
I think those that did do it went to an aftermarket computer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just read ecm data with hp tuners , it runs real dirty right now, so I have to figure out how to tune it . I also posted a shorts video on YouTube.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
I hope you aren't driving it around untuned??? With bigger injectors, you're going to wash the cylinder walls down and spin a bearing in no time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im definitely not driving it around. I only went up and down the street in excitement . the injectors are the lsj ones and you can tell they are a hell of allot beefier . any help on the tune would be great bro.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Cobalt LS 2.2 L61 300,000 miles and still going
10 Posts
My LT has the leather steering wheel. Maybe not all of them did. Also has the leather shift knob.

Doing a turbo would be cool. How much is your budget. It would be ideal to build the entire engine to handle it. Otherwise the engine will likely blow up. Assuming it has not super low mileage. It may last a short while but doing things right will cost more than you probably paid for the car initially. Honestly if your going to go that route turboing the stock 2.2L, you may want to also have another car to drive. There’s been people that have done it but I can’t imagine it’s going to be real reliable until the engine is fully built.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Cobalt LS 2.2 L61 300,000 miles and still going
10 Posts
If you're going to turbo. Upgrade braking and suspension first. No use in going fast if you can't stop..

·
Registered
21 Posts
changed the injector size , i really feel like the lsj injectors dont work right with this motor , it has a nasty idle , ive switched them around and have had no better luck. and after all this my bcm decides to go hay wire. has any one else had issues with their bcm? sometimes it wont give me my key back , other times i get a robotic voice from the radio( whatever song is playing sounds weird) which makes me think that ther is a bad ground some where... what an adventure !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder what the chances of this working on 05-06 models. I swear I remember seeing a SC kit for them back when they came out. Just how would you tune a 16 bit pcm is the main stumper.

Any vids of the car on the road. Looks interesting.
the 06 is not supported by hp tuners , you would definitely need a new pcm

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh no, I definitely know there have been very few people that could, or would tune the 05-06 2.2 engine computers. In fact the computer is completely different from the 07-10 models. The 05-06 2.2 uses a 16 bit computer, while the later 2.2 as well as all years of the 2.0 and 2.4 use a 32 bit computer. The 16 bit computer cars are totally different from the 32 bit computer cars. Meaning things like bcm, tcm, abs, will likely not interchange. I believe I would need to removed wiring from a newer car, along with all modules and probably end up running into a lot of things that aren’t the same. For instance things under the dash and in the doors. Pretty crappy that they didn’t make them interchangeable. Or at least sounds to be true from everything I’ve read doing research on the subject.

At some point there were people tuning the 16 bit computer. I imagine there are things that make it much more difficult to do the coding to do the changes to the tuning program. Perhaps the people that were able to add turbo or super chargers to the early 2.2s were actually running stand alone computers. Not completely sure. I imagine it would be so much easier for me to find a 2.4 car or 07-10 2.2 car. I really just like the sedan models. When I do find 2.4 sedans, they are usually ragged out and being sold for way too much. It’s difficult to want to pay much money for another Cobalt considering I bought mine for $300 and it was really a fairly decent car to begin with. What I’d really like to find is a turbo SS sedan, but those are far and few between to find. Usually out of state if I have seen one listed.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
It's easier just to use an aftermarket ECM and tune that. Anything else, as you were thinking out loud, just isn't practical or cost-efficient.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im using the pcm that came with my g5 , I finally got it tuned to a very drive able point. Now I can just start changing the rate vs volume and I definitely need a stronger fuel pump. I got the lsj injectors to work , the biggest issue is that the injectors dont stick in as much so I had to tune the base idle .

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
Unless your pump is going bad, it should handle the injectors just fine. My 42s have done fine on the stock pump, and many people have run 60s and 81s without issue.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts