Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I currently own a 06 Chevy Cobalt LT 4 doors and last week the ignition key was getting stuck in accessory position and was unable to take it out.

In order to be able to take it out I had to turn the key on / off several times.

So I took my car to the dealership and they "apparently" the found the problem (this is what they typed in the work order):

"Tested key and ignition cylinder. Found the ignition cylinder was binding and key was worn. Replaced ignition lock cylinder and programmed a new key. Tested operation - OK".

Well turns out the problem is still there, the key won't come off until I either cycle ignition several times or move the gear from D to P.

Anyone has had this kind of experiences and could offer some advise on how to approach the dealership tomorrow?

They charged me $280 dollars for something that apparently was working ok and the real problem lies somewhere else.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes, I have had this problem twice, both times it was My shifter switch that had derailed. The last time I pushed the switch in place and with my hot iron I melted the tad so the switch wouldn't pop out again. See in first picture how lever is to one side.

Next time it sticks try pressing the little button under the colomn, if this releases your key, it is not a key or ignition problem.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

The little shaft painted yellow here for your benifit should be under the lever switch not on top.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably that's my problem too but the thing is that as I said in my first email I already paid $280 dollars for a new ignition cylinder and a new key.

So now they are going to tell me "Sorry but the problem was not the cylinder"

Seems to me that they never looked in to the shifter to see if the problem was there.

What am I suppose to tell them? You guys replaced something that was not broken and now you want to charge me more money?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I know, dealers are there to make money and not necessarily help you. Tell them you feel you have been jipted or misled and feel that they are incompetent in fixing your car. Maybe Gmcustsrv on here can help you with that dealer. I never bring my cars to the dealer unless it's under warranty and even then I'm a bit leery. Always plan on several visits when going to the dealer because they never, ever get it right the first time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if Gmcustsrv will be able to help me.

Is there a number where I can comply? Maybe with GM?

Should I demand my money back?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved.

Took it to the dealership and told them that the problem was still there and they replaced the whole shifter at no cost :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Told yah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.