Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found several posts here about people adding superchargers or turbochargers to their 2.2L Cobalt. I want to add a little extra hp (about 50 hp, or a 30% increase), but as a college student funds are limited.
If I found a supercharger from the supercharged coupe SS Cobalt at a junkyard, could I Jerry-rig it onto my 2005 2.2L? (provided I purchase any necessary gaskets, tubing, etc) Or are there complications which make this ridiculously impractical?

I'm an engineering student so if I need to run calculations concerning airflow, energy, heat, etc that's fine by me. I also have access to a machine shop if I need to modify parts to make this work. Just trying to get my 145hp engine to about 200.

P.S. If there's already a thread on this that I missed lmk so I can delete this one and not clutter the forum.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the supercharger swap is definitely easy to do, and relatively affordable. There is a list of parts you'll need that I've pasted below. However, as Ryan has said, '05 will require special tuning, as nobody tunes these.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/13885-parts-list-supercharge-2-2-2-4-a.html
Cool I had seen that list earlier but didn't realize those parts were swapped out of the 2.0 cobalt. It's a pretty great list, so props to you. I noticed you listed exhaust parts as "optional," but a friend said that if I didn't upgrade my exhaust 1st I would destroy my engine because the additional boost pressure would not be able to exit the pistons easily enough. Is there any truth to this, or could I wait on the exhaust upgrades until after I saved a bit more cash?

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

It all bolts right on, only thing is there's no tuning support for the 05 so you would need a standalone system
If I mounted the MAF sensor at a location where the pipe diameter matched the OEM diameter so it can get an accurate mass-flow calculation, and if I located it at such a place that about the same amount of head-loss occurred between the sensor and throttle body in the new setup as the old, would the readings be accurate enough that I could get by without a tune? Or am I just asking for my cylinders to be shred to pieces?

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I noticed you listed exhaust parts as "optional," but a friend said that if I didn't upgrade my exhaust 1st I would destroy my engine because the additional boost pressure would not be able to exit the pistons easily enough. Is there any truth to this, or could I wait on the exhaust upgrades until after I saved a bit more cash?
Any truth? Not even remotely.

I ran an entire stock exhaust - manifold, downpipe and exhaust system for probably a year or so before I upgraded to an SS/TC exhaust. Then about another year later I added the header and downpipe to complete the system.

So you absolutely can wait on that if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Cool I had seen that list earlier but didn't realize those parts were swapped out of the 2.0 cobalt. It's a pretty great list, so props to you. I noticed you listed exhaust parts as "optional," but a friend said that if I didn't upgrade my exhaust 1st I would destroy my engine because the additional boost pressure would not be able to exit the pistons easily enough. Is there any truth to this, or could I wait on the exhaust upgrades until after I saved a bit more cash?

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

If I mounted the MAF sensor at a location where the pipe diameter matched the OEM diameter so it can get an accurate mass-flow calculation, and if I located it at such a place that about the same amount of head-loss occurred between the sensor and throttle body in the new setup as the old, would the readings be accurate enough that I could get by without a tune? Or am I just asking for my cylinders to be shred to pieces?
If it would even run, it wouldn't hold up very long if you supercharge it without a tune

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Yeah - it would dump so much extra fuel into the cylinders, you'd wash the bore walls down and dilute the oil - which leads to boom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - it would dump so much extra fuel into the cylinders, you'd wash the bore walls down and dilute the oil - which leads to boom.
If it would even run, it wouldn't hold up very long if you supercharge it without a tune
What if I installed a variable fuel pressure regulator to mechanically restrict the fuel to the proper amount? Between that and strategically manipulating placement of the MAF sensor, it seems like you could find a balance but I've never had the privilege of viewing the ECU's code to know for sure how the calculations work.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
If you restricted flow, then you wouldn't have sufficient fuel flow for when you ran into boost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.