Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help explain V Bands to me? I don't really understand them and I'm finding turbo manifolds with and without them and don't know which to get.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Levee should know this one. PM him

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
V-bands are just that. They are bands in the shape of a V that when tightened compress the two halves of what you're working with together to make them seal up. They are completely universal as they allow your turbo to be turned at any angle to help compensate things, HOWEVER, most do not offer a leak free seal from the manifold to the turbo as the v-bands do not use gaskets. The regular bolted type manifold is the best.

Any other info you'd like on them?

·
Registered
360 Posts
"HOWEVER, most do not offer a leak free seal from the manifold to the turbo"

not to argue or anything....but
who in their right mind would use a V-band from the manifold to the turbo ?

seems really stupid to me to do that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So they just serve as a second inlet for the turbo? If I'm understanding this correctly at all. And does it depend on the turbo at all whether or not to get one?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Id suggest spending a little more money and get a creditable turbo. No, it specifically states "5 bolt downpipe flange".

Plain jane. Universal does not always mean inferior when it comes to a type of flange. Think about it this way... any t3/t4 turbo is universal to a t3 flange.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
There are no doubt exceptions to the rule, but generally I would trust something made specifically for my application rather than a part designed to pair with a wider range of applications.

Why not go with the ZZP kit? The turbo they use is a medium frame, so it should balance the characteristics of a large and a small turbo quite well. Bullseye I believe it is.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
My EFR 6758 used V-Band as well.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
"HOWEVER, most do not offer a leak free seal from the manifold to the turbo"

not to argue or anything....but
who in their right mind would use a V-band from the manifold to the turbo ?

seems really stupid to me to do that.
Where I could agree to this in every way, there are surprisingly a lot of people making very good numbers that still use V-bands. Again, V-bands are the best when you are trying to angle stuff the right way to get something large in a tight space. But again, they don't offer a 100% leak free seal.

So back to the original stuff. Here is a V-Band turbo manifold:

and here is a regular T3 manifold

See the difference?

Now that being said, as far as a name brand turbo, there are a lot of good name brand turbos out there. Borg Warner, Garrett, Bullseye (which basically use Borg Warners just modify them), ETS, HKS, PTE (precision), FP (Forced Performance (use Garrett based turbos but modify them (what I have on my evo)), Holset, Volvo. There are also names that are big, but don't really have good turbos to use like CRX, Godspeed, and a few other chinese knockoffs or any other really cheap turbo kit on e-bay.

I would recommend sticking to Garrett or Borg Warner as they are the best designed and take the best beatings. They are also all made with quality parts and last a long time (which is they they are so expensive). ETS and HKS usually just use PTE turbos, but I'd stay away from them as they went cheap on the bearings they used on them, and they give out very easily. (I had a friend of mine at DSM/EVO shootout lose his 8 second 900awhp car because his 2 BRAND NEW PTE turbos exploded on his car and took his entire car out with them)). Look up the research on them, you will see, they are not very good turbos, but everyone buys them because they are cheap (Which means they are either not reliable or not fast). In the DSM/EVO community, not one PTE turbo is in the records (just so you know).

Also when choosing a turbo, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a Journal Bearing (JB) turbo. There are several reasons for this, such as they are cheaper, but the main reason, they are REBUILDABLE. Dual Ball Bearing (DBB) turbos are NOT rebuildable. The only difference between the two performance wise is the DBB will spool about 2-300 RPMS faster, and will hold a higher boost level longer than a JB, BUT JB turbos are recommended for street use, not track. So I'd say stick with a JB turbo and it will last a lot longer and you will be just as happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.