Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I searched around and went through quite a few "paint your valve" cover related threads, but I didnt find exactly what Im looking for and I want to be sure.

I sanded my valve cover all the way to 2000 grit sandpaper today and I may buff tomorrow, but Id like to paint the part which goes over/into the valve cover. I dont know the name of it, so I couldnt search very effectively.
Its the part which houses the spark plug wiring and then the rubber plugs which go down to the spark plugs. On my 2005 LS it also has a wire which connects on the driver side.

apologies if this has been covered, I do try to search around first. I have some valve cover paint which is the color id like so now I just want to know if it will work effectively for what I want. Its a high heat spray paint containing ceramic and the guy at pep boys said I should be good, but I think id trust the people here slightly more.

Ill take a picture if anyone requires it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is your coil pack, my 06 LS has the same thing

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

The piece in my hand

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
at least you all managed to get yours off, mine is stubborn, i think ill do it tomorrow...work on the car all day , then sit down and drink some beer later in the day at the family get-together...mmmmm

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
For painting that, bag/tape off the bottom where the spark plug sleeves are, then take off the silver part on the right, where the plug is, and i think you want to tape under that also, then you should be good

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

If you want chris when i come down i can hold your hand and we can take off your valve cover....... HAHAHAHA, but seriously if you cant get it....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For painting that, bag/tape off the bottom where the spark plug sleeves are, then take off the silver part on the right, where the plug is, and i think you want to tape under that also, then you should be good

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

If you want chris when i come down i can hold your hand and we can take off your valve cover....... HAHAHAHA, but seriously if you cant get it....
alright, just make it quick, i want to get a coilpack too btw, is that possible or what? like can i hook it up?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I dont think its possible to hook up a coil pack to a 2.2 that didnt have one/doesnt need one, also, if you just paint your valve cover black it will still look saweet

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

also thats a nasty pic of my engine bay......

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I dont think its possible to hook up a coil pack to a 2.2 that didnt have one/doesnt need one, also, if you just paint your valve cover black it will still look saweet

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

also thats a nasty pic of my engine bay......
im going along with my blue interior, i painted the typhoon tube, and the shield along with the fuse box cover and the little shield in front of it..ill text it to you though, i dont have th pic on my camera or the cpu..sooo

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, awesome. I figured id be good to go, but the people here seem to have a much better grasp on everything or at least experience with it.

thats def the part I was talking about...the coil pack.

My engine is a little hot now, but once cooled down Ill pop it off, tape it off as necessary and give it a go. The valve cover look all pretty so Id like to continue to spice it up a little as I save up for some more upgrades.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I boxed in the piece the OP is talking about, also a better pic of the engine bay

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

ive never taken off that part on the right, but i know you can, its in my haynes manual, so im sure theres something under there that needs taped, just go over everything once you get it apart and make sure the bottom is covered and any plugs and screw holes

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, heres another question since ive got all the pros here.

Throughout the engine bay there are special little ties holding certain wiring/split loom in place. They look like wire ties, but they also have a plug which seems to pop into a nearby part and thereby hold the wiring right there. Since Im looking to replace some of my split loom with something more colorful, I was curious what those ties are even called. I may have to take a pic to def give the idea of what im speaking of, but I havent been able to find anything like them at pepboys, autozone, etc.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Yea, Ill def cover that shiny piece there because I want to clean it off and make it shine a little more next to the paint once I get it on there.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That "shiny piece" can be taken off, so no need to cover it, but may need to cover whats under it, idk if there are plugs under there or not.

as for what you are describing, do you mean the plastic zip tie like pieces, they wrap around the wire loom and have "pin" like pieces that stick into stuff to hold the loom in a certain place? Like the piece that holds your MAF sensor WIRE to the valve cover that you have to remove to paint it on the front left? Bc i def broke mine off when i took my valve cover off, idk what theyre called

Edit, insert word wire ^

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
as have i, i just clipped them, im guessing the are a rivet of some sort, ill do some searching online and try to find that out for us all...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
great, thanks for that. I asked around, but without a name I havent been able to get much help. I dont care if theyre just black ones or if theres a color assortment, I just want to try and keep things as orderly as can be now that im working on becoming car literate.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Hmmm...Its seems I got too used to only having to sand and not prime by using krylon fusion on my interior trim, but thus duplicolor engine enamel def recommends using its primer...which I foolishly didnt buy and now the stores around here are closed.

What do you guys think, just sand and give it a spray or dont rush it and wait til I can get the primer tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yeah, theyre like zip tie wraps with rivets to insert in given places around the engine bay, hopefully chris can find them and its something you can pick up at the auto store, never looked for them before

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yeah, theyre like zip tie wraps with rivets to insert in given places around the engine bay, hopefully chris can find them and its something you can pick up at the auto store, never looked for them before
I looked in chevrolet Parts Catalogs and couldn't find anything...ill keep looking though...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would wait, and spray it with the engine primer before you spray with engine enamel

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i couldnt find the name of them in my haynes, it just calls them "wiring harness clips" for the illustration, and thats the only place they are mentioned

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i couldnt find the name of them in my haynes, it just calls them "wiring harness clips" for the illustration, and thats the only place they are mentioned
I didnt even make it that far...haha

and Im just going by wht my buddy said but apparently there is this stuff at advance called "wrinkle plus" or something like that, you paint it on a valve cover and heat treat the paint, and the hotter it gets the more dense the wrinkles get, i think its made by VHT, but you could always use that(idk if you prime for it) but prime, wrinkle, then the desired color, i think i may try it, ill have to see what the instructions say though...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Personally i wouldnt chance making my valve cover look wrinkley. But make sure you get ENGINE PRIMER, just sayin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.