Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 Cobalt SS with 120k miles. It's been a reliable car overall. There was an issue with some wires in the engine harness being rubbed and shorting out about 4 months ago that I found and fixed.

This morning my wife was driving it and the TC light, ABS light and the Power Steering warning came on and the car died on her.

I went to take a look at it and moved the TC ground on the engine and it was able to start. But it immediately dies when you press on the brake pedal. It also does when you try to out down the windows. The window button buzzes but will not go down.
This is crazy bc it seems like two separate circuits are causing the engine to die.

Now it will start and the die right away. We really like the car and would like to keep it a little longer but this problem has me pretty stumped.

Thanks in advance for the help.

BW

·
Registered
633 Posts
Which SS is it? The 2.4 or 2.0. Also, is it automatic or manual transmission?

I’m currently dealing with a bad TCM on my car. I have read other posts about the TCM causing power steering loss and inability to keep the engine running for any amount of time. Seems bad TCMs plague the automatic Cobalts.

Mine however is just causing the transmission to shift all kinds of crazy ways. Unfortunately when there’s a module that’s going bad, it usually will not set a code. If it does it can be random codes. And they may change after you clear them. Sometimes not. I grounded the TCM on the casing and ran the wire to the strut tower. Works for now but probably is not going to last long. Possibly not even close to your problem though. Hopefully with a little more info we may be able to help you find the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the 2.0 and the tranny is an automatic.
It just seems strange that the brake pedal and the windows would be affected by a bad TCM.

What models interchange with the Cobalt. There is a local pick a part that I my try to hit to see if I can get it running.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Take a look at all of the grounds and verify.
Get the images from the thread
ground location images

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved!!!!

Alright. Car was rear ended two weeks ago and the trunk was not sealed right. Rain got into the trunk, and shorted out the electrical coming out of the trunk. The big red wire connecting to the 50amp fuse was corroded and it broke off the connectors.

drained the water, then reconnected the red wire going to the fuse. Car started up. TC light is still on, but I'll deal with that later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts