Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Chevy cobalt lt, I love the car but recently it started to vibrate in the steering wheel at around 80 km/h (50 mph) and stop at 110 km/h (70mph) after about 10 minute or so of driving. So I’ve went and got my tires balanced but it didn’t do anything all the suspension parts are new lower control arm, strut, link, all the ball and bushing, I thought I could be the axle shaft so I’ve changed them today it did indeed reduce a little bit the vibration cause they were due but there is still vibration and I think it happen after I’ve applied the brake and also when I hit the brake the car pull slightly to the left. If someone as a explanation please I could be very helpful cause I don’t want to put more money in it then I’ve already did!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue with my 2010 cobalt. I hadnt noticed it until after i redid my rack n pinion. Then i got an alignment so idk. Im going to be taking it in for another alignment and have then check the camber so ill pay extra for that. I also had my tires balenced to see if that was the problem and it was not. Its only in the front end so the only other things i can think of redoing to see if it helps is my rotors and my struts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The pull could indicate a brake problem. Maybe a caliper for hose, but on the right side. Usually the pull will be cause by the brake on the opposite side. Warped rotors also will cause vibration or pull, but usually is only noticeable while braking.

You say you had the wheels balanced. But did they even check for an out of round tire? I find that many tire guys don’t know to look for that, and is many times what I find wrong on my customers cars. A major portion of my customers having high speed vibration is caused by a tire with a belt that has shifted. They can also cause a pull. So can a tire that is more worn than the one on the other side, mainly on the front wheels. In the rear this wouldn’t be a problem. Just for example, if you have a heavy foot and wear out the right front tire, it’ll start to pull after a while because the other side isn’t wearing out as fast.

On my Cobalt, the tires were my problem with high speed vibration. They otherwise looked ok. But a closer look on the lift, and I found that they were definitely out of round after spinning them. New tires fixed the problem. The tires were only about 4 years old too, the previous owner had them installed.

Now, as I’m mentioning the bad tires being a possibility, this could also exacerbate a problem with a worn part. Like a tie rod end or control arm bushing. It’ll be much more noticeable when parts are worn and loose. It’ll take a trained person with a lift to find your loose parts. I usually lift the car and try moving the parts by hand and also with pry bars. Sometimes a pry bar will help to move a part that doing so by hand cannot. Like the control arms. Although you say yours are new. Unless they have already worn out again.

If you were my customer telling me the symptoms, I’d first check for out of round tires. Being that they cannot be perfectly balanced, they will eventually cause wear on the steering and suspension parts. Also have them check to see if a wheel is bent. That is another thing I see a lot of. It seams like I see more problems with cheap tires, like ones made in Taiwan and China. Like the kind that are the cheapest the tire places sell. Not so much with name brand tires. But they do suffer from the same kind of problems.

Another thing I’ll mention is that about half of the tires that I find out of round are being over inflated. I don’t know if this is the problem those times, but I have a feeling it is a contributing factor. Also whoever looks at your car should not charge you to do this, although I’m sure a lot of shops do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts