Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone..hopefully someone can help here...i have an 08 cobalt ls 2.2l auto...with 100,000 on it..bought with 53,000 on it...anyway been noticing some vibration in my steering wheel at speeds of 60-70mph...i had the tires checked/rotated by the dealer...i put new aftermarket slotted rotors and brakes on it around 63k because they were warped....even when the car is sitting and running i can take the steering wheel and wiggle it back and forth and there is some play and i can hear like a clunking noise....almost same noise at higher speeds when the vibration is kicking in...

any thoughts???

thx

rob

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i wouldnt count on tie rods to begin with, but they well maybe due for some new ones. Lets start off simple. Have you had your tires rotated and correct balance weights from a hunter "static" balancer?

The reason why I say this cause my balt had the same exact issue, turned out to be 2.5 ounces overweighted per wheel on the hunter machine...runs like a champ now with hi-low hits, but no vibration atm.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Since he had the tires checked and rotated I was assuming they were balanced... Were they balanced Robbieholtz?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

And unbalanced tires won't cause play in steering or cause noises at a stop while turning the wheel back and forth. But unbalanced tires will cause vibration in the steering wheel at high speeds.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Vibrations at 60-70 is definitely a tire problem, bad balancing, bent rim, scalloping or even broken belts. Clunking noise is probably inner tie-rod or intwermediate shaft U joint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the posts!!! im going to price some new tires...surely 190/60/r15 tires arent too bad....tires aren't all the way gone but i drove 140 miles daily and it wouldnt hurt.....i understand the vibration/tire issue...was just wondering if anyone else has experienced that play in the steering wheel and the clunking noise...tie rod ends...expensive?? easy to replace??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks everyone for the posts!!! im going to price some new tires...surely 190/60/r15 tires arent too bad....tires aren't all the way gone but i drove 140 miles daily and it wouldnt hurt.....i understand the vibration/tire issue...was just wondering if anyone else has experienced that play in the steering wheel and the clunking noise...tie rod ends...expensive?? easy to replace??
Not too expensive to have both tie rods replaced, hopefully the outer tie rod, which most of us here have probably replaced before. I believe they go for under $40 (ALLDATA) and require .6 labor hours on each side.

ensure that whomever is balancing your tires, that their properly doing it correctly as well...Tire Kingdom is known to have some clumsy techs. I would highly encourage a company whom you choose to have new tires balanced a hunter machine. Those are the best in wheel balancing and your steering shake is caused from static imbalanced (high speeds, hwys) tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just dropped the car off at the tire shop...getting 4 new Michelin tires put on...one of the best tires they sell...so we will see later today!!! they are going to check everything else out also...alignment...etc....

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Yea .6 sounds right for tie rod ends if you do change them I would go with the moog with grease fittings. That's what I have and a lot of others too. I changed mine at 90000. Hopefully your new tires will do you good.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Like 5t3alth said the machine they use to balance matters a lot. I had my tires balanced by a local shop then went to the dealer and the balance by the dealer fixed the vibration.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Are you thinking endlinks and saying tie rod ends again?!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just dropped the car off at the tire shop...getting 4 new Michelin tires put on...one of the best tires they sell...so we will see later today!!! they are going to check everything else out also...alignment...etc....
Alignment wont effect steering vibration, it just keeps your steering wheel centered and from the tires cambering. An alignment consists of Caster, Camber, and Toe. Nothing else. Vibrations are due to warped brake rotors, wheel balance, bent wheel, loose wheel bearings, stuff like that in nature.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Which ones "Michelin Defender"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for the delay on this...i had 4 new michelin primacy mxv4 on there and the major vibration all went away...they checked everything on the drivetrain and said everything looked good...I still have a small vibration and can feel it when i move the wheel back and forth slightly...also when i drive on gravel it make a loud clunking noise kinda like its a shock problem.....any suggestions or tests??? when i took the wheels off about 3 weeks ago i moved the rotor and everything seemed tight.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Might be something in the steering colum. Mine makes noise there's a couple threads about it drives me crazy but I keep living with it

Maybe the rack & pinion is loose? If thats not the case, then it has to be your tires are overbalanced, causing static imbalance. My car had the same problem. Another possibility is warped front brake rotors. Check your rotors to see if you have any blue metallic color called heat spots. You also may have glazing on the rotors too. I would start simple first, cheap to expensive :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the clunking and play in the wheel I would look at or have someone look at the steering column. Esp if you can feel it in the wheel. You may be able to just replace the shaft that comes into the car which is a much cheaper alternative because a steering column could be upwards of 600. If you reach up from underneath you can feel it if it is clunking. There is like a plastic bushing that wears out. I had the same problem with my ls even after new tie rod ends. Hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.