Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just put new rims and tire package on my ls 4 lug 4 X100 rims fit fine. the car rides fine and smooth and nice except for when i brake the car shakes and is pretty bad over speeds of 40. the car didnt shake this morning when the stock wheels were on it. Another cobalt had the tires on it with no problems and had no issues. ive read that little metal clips on the lug nuts or something lik that could throw off the balance of the rims and make it vibrate when brakinb.

can anyone help me out

and if i take them off and fix the problem do i have to put them back on when i put my stocks one during the winter

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah those little metal clips make it shake very bad when braking, you don't need them

on my car my steering wheel shakes a bit when I brake because my aftermarket wheels are wider than the stocks, but it's still alot better than when it had those metal clips on it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Ok my car vibrates really bad after my aftermarket rim/tire install... what metal clips r u talkin about?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
just took them off car doesnt vibrate now when i brake thanks
Glad you got it figured out!

Ok my car vibrates really bad after my aftermarket rim/tire install... what metal clips r u talkin about?
The little clips are on all on all of the lug stems. Just behind the wheel, but before the breaks. They are just tiny little silver clips. you have to pull them off with pliers. Don't worry about ruining them because they are useless. They are just put on along the assembly line to hold the breaks on before the wheels are bolted on.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The little clips are on all on all of the lug stems. Just behind the wheel, but before the breaks. They are just tiny little silver clips. you have to pull them off with pliers. Don't worry about ruining them because they are useless. They are just put on along the assembly line to hold the breaks on before the wheels are bolted on.

OH! Well who knew (guess yall did & i didnt :laugh: ) I think I'll try that out when I get home... gosh I hope it works for me, Ive been driving around all summer w/ vibratey brakes... :notrust:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Damn thats actually pretty useful information. Who would have thought it would be something that small haha

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Those little one way speed clips to keeps the discs in place at the factory? And those cause brake shake? What? Maybe a pic to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks!!
GTO 1

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah they make the wheels unbalanced my car still shakes a little bit at higher speeds kinda frustrating ya kno

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
GGRRRR!! So this may not work? Well crap! Oh well, guess I'll keep living w/ it... I'm still gonna try it, so is the vibration still just as rough?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
o it definitely makes a difference taking the clips off at speeds under 55 or so
i would do it anyways regardless but im taking it to my mechanic on Monday and he is gonna look at it

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Ok, thanks... Looks like that's what i'm gonna do when I get home from work... Let me know what you find out if u dont care... :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
GGRRRR!! So this may not work? Well crap! Oh well, guess I'll keep living w/ it... I'm still gonna try it, so is the vibration still just as rough?
I'm thinking out of round or even slightly warped rotors or possible check your tire balance
Rotors if you feel it braking,,, tire balance if you feel at steady speed, usually above 40 mph.
Those factory clip are negligable as far as what is described here.
If rotors, warranty will "turn" them if it's the first complaint.

GTO 1

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm thinking out of round or even slightly warped rotors or possible check your tire balance
Rotors if you feel it braking,,, tire balance if you feel at steady speed, usually above 40 mph.
Those factory clip are negligable as far as what is described here.
If rotors, warranty will "turn" them if it's the first complaint.

GTO 1
Thanks for the ideas, Tonto (hehe)... I'm gonna have to do something, the vibration is starting to annoy me...lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
vibration

yep i had the same prob back in 06 when i got my rims took off the clips and everything was good to go

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Well I didnt do it... I need another person to help me since I dont have jack stands and all that nice stuff, plus jacks wont fit under my car (the factory one barely fits) haha... so i'll prob do this 2morrow before it wash it... and yeah, if any1 has pix please post, if not i'll take some 2morrow & post them...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.