Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do not know a lot about cars and have been having an issue with vibrations when my car hits about 55. It does not vibrate all the time and will even start vibrating then stop at the same speed. I can hear and fell the vibration through the whole front of the car. I took it to one mechanic that said it was the engine protector and said there was nothing that could be done about it. I took it some where else and they said that it was a piece of my headlight that is broken on the inside of the head light(i know it is not that). I took it to yet a third place and they said it is my transmission bearings and my whole transmission needs to be replaced because the bearings inside of my transmission are bad. It is a 2009 with 70000 miles on it. I just find it hard to believe I need an entire new transmission. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The cobalta have good transmissions but it is possible. It could possibly be a tire with uneven wear. Mine did that till I got new tires. The road surface might change and cause the worn tire to make a vibration
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Definitely wheels, either you lost some weights or maybe hit a bad pothole and bent a rim or they were never balanced properly to begin with. Move front tires to rear and rear to front to see if symptoms change. It will take you 30 minutes at no cost and this way you will eliminate wheels.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I highly doubt it's the transmission or either of the other problems listed. Please stop going to all said shops...

First thing to check would be the wheels as already mentioned.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here are the possibilities of what normally causes that.
1. Wheel is static imbalanced.
2. Brakes rotors can be warped.
3. A tire can be Sawtoothed effect
4. Vehicle is not aligned correctly.

Those are the top reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.