Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2010 Cobalt LT almost 5 years ago with only 35,500 miles on it. It's now at 137,000 miles and I've just begun doing some basic tune up work on it. However for about a year now I've had vibrations in my steering wheel when braking at 40+ MPH. It usually stops after it sinks below 20 MPH but also happens at times when I hit bumps, a pot hole I couldn't avoid, or while turning. I know I have bent rims but I'm unsure if it's just the rims that could be causing this much vibration and noise in my steering wheel.
Also should I be worried about any damage done to my rotors or braking system due to this? I ask this because I'm changing my front brake pads and want to know if I should be looking for anything specific while I'm down there.
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Change the rotors at the same time as the pads for what they cost. If the shaking stops problem solved....

·
Registered
949 Posts
If it's only while braking, then I'd bet Coby's right. Probably a warped rotor. With that many miles, you might as well replace both pads and rotors when you have your brakes serviced next.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yes, if it is just braking then it could be your brakes, resurface rotors and/or drums. If it's not just braking applications then possibly both your brakes and your wheels, the rims may be affecting things. might be out of balance and may need to be fixed, either just proper weight placement or fixing the bent rims and proper weight placement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.