Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I can't say for sure cuz I really don't know much, but 'autoforums' I believe is the owner of YC and that it isn't necessarily a virus but just the software they use to track what you are doing.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
2 things I see that need to be fixed, and another thing about the problem..

1. Get rid of IExplorer. Use another Browser as that warning resulted in the changing of the .exe file for iexplorer. (Iexplorer or any other windows based software is known to be the easiest and most hacked software ever, so you will feel much safer if you don't use it).

2. Get RID of Norton AV. It is a complete memory hog, is easily hacked as well, and doesn't pick up on most of the new viruses out there, and is too expensive. If it was on the computer when you got it, don't renew it, just get a different program.

Now for the autoforums thing. I don't believe autoforums owns this site, I just believe that they host this site on a server, however, what you encountered was spyware that was embeded into an ad that is on the site. (again, you're using IE so it is written easily enough to just bypass the IE security) That is NOT a virus, but it IS spyware/malware. Get Spybot S&D (it's free) and set it up, scan computer, clean computer, and immunize computer with that program. It works like an extra firewall on your computer for malware and spyware. Once done with that, download and run CCleaner until it finds nothing more with the programs, or the registry. Once done with all that, you should be fine with your computer until you get a different AV program (I recommend Avast). Just my $.02 as I build computers for a side job for many people and after 10 years of doing it, I've never had anyone have a problem/virus/attack on their computer.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I get a warning here and there too on mine, I use chrome and have Kaspersky Lab. Its something the forum has to track like what was said already
I get no warnings ever, and I use Chrome with SB S&D and CCleaner. Never had an issue with any of it lol, but to each their own. The errors for "tracking" are spyware trojans that are installed on your computer to show usage. With Tea Timer (comes with Spybot) it will eliminate them.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
i only got a malware alert when i tried to open the CarID new thread. chrome said get away get away, dont wanna blow my work pc up lol

·
Administrator
220 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thank you for your reports and the techs have dealt with the issue. You may still get a warning message from your browser about the site but I assure you that the site is safe.

Sorry about any problems this has caused.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.