Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm reading mixed reviews,good and bad. From what I understand it kinda piggybacks on your pcm and intercepts data and replaces it with its own on board fuel trims and such. One thing that is unanimous throughout the reviews is it gives way better throttle response. I don't like throwing money away but at the same time its peaked my curiosity. I emailed them asking that if I install and dyno with zero gains if I can return,2 minutes later I got a response saying I could return for whatever reason I wanted. So with the support of my cobalteers I'll make a decision.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

BTW they call it a "soft flash" tune

·
Registered
435 Posts
Probably just as bad as Jetchips. You're better off saving for a custom tune from Trifecta or HP.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Sounds like a can tune which for a company that has tuned a lot of cobalts can be ok for an NA since there isnt much you can do to it. But I wouldn't trust a piggy back system. How much are they asking?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$89, I have Akron horsepower about 25 minutes from my house. They did a custom dyno tune on my cobra for $450. I only paid $250 for a dyno on my motorcycle. But I don't want a full tune until I get my 2.4 mani and tb, so maybe I'll pick it up for a hold me over until I get my other bolties on. Probably won't go trifecta,I'll get a full custom tune when I'm ready.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Unless you have the new tb and mani you wont get much of a gain with any tuner. Personally I feel it would be a waste of money, especially if you plan to custom tune in the future. If a shop charges $400 for a custom why spend shy of 25% of the cost on a off can tune that you know nothing about?

Just my .02

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your kinda in my mainframe. But I really want to buy it just to see the results on a dyno,and then share the results on a YouTube vid just to put it to rest. I've seen a couple YouTube videos showing installation but zero hard proof that it works. I've been revisiting the volo website at least bi-weekly for the last 6 or more months. My brain says "you know better" but this OTHER voice keeps saying "just buy it,it'll be fun"!

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

^mindframe

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you do. Please post any gains and your experience.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Those pre-programmed chips do NOT work. Their nothing more than a RAM stored type of data. Our PCM's have a learning ability and will default after time back to your original driving habits. You need to go with HPTuners or locally who can do PCM dyno tuning.

You would be more than surprised that anyone who offers F-body PCM tuning has it for the LAF, LNF, and LSJ motors. So check with the closest dyno tuning shop who can do that. It may cost you around $400-500 range, but they will wipe out your learn ability and keep their stock 12-13:1 air/fuel ratio (horsepower range, not fuel economy).

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Didn't even look at his year. What is wrong with Trifecta?

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

And I dont want to here you chime in on this one Banker!! lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
please don't waste your money. you'd get more satisfaction from adding a short throw if you're a manual or a b+m shift plus if you're an auto
I have the twm shifter. even chopped an inch off the top.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's not even half of what I've done,lol. It won't all fit...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If your really in a tune or a new PCM, go to a wrecking yard, pick up a GM ECM or PCM. You can basically flash it to nothing, then now its a whole new Engine Management system. Lot of Honda guys are starting to do this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your really in a tune or a new PCM, go to a wrecking yard, pick up a GM ECM or PCM. You can basically flash it to nothing, then now its a whole new Engine Management system. Lot of Honda guys are starting to do this.
What is the benefit of this? Wouldn't it just learn back to stock?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The benefit is that its a stand alone system. Once you flash it to nothing, then give it the learn ability, adjust to whatever you want. It sounds easier than it really is if you have no clue to any of the tables.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.