Are you talking about the inserts into the intake? If so worthless

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They become effective at about 400mph.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
:ROFLOL: What the hell is the "point" to that? I've seen those. I thought they were just something douches with VW put on their cars?!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liked a cobalt page on facebook and they showed a pic of it I was just wondering what they were haha

...07cobalt...

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Dont let my humor be the reason you dont get them if you like it. I just find it humerous to see these cookie cutter VW's driving around thinking they are cool and unique. The douche behind you has the same set up with a different color douche! Thats typically what I yell at them!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They were actually designed to stop dirt from accumulating on back windows of hatchbacks like the TDI hatchback. By breaking the windstream that would swoop down on the back window right after the rear roof edge. Apparently it worked. I believe Acura also had something similar.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
That explains that, but they still suck!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Looks great on a plain.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Do they serve the same purpose on a plane? Can imagine too many windows getting dirty while going 400mph!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Different purpose but same idea, to break the windflow over certain areas of the wing.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
sorry to bring up an old post, but I can actually explain these a little. While Coby7 was right about them breaking airstreams and windflow, I know on evos it's actually been proven that with the stock spoiler and having the vortex generators on the roof it actually adds 15% more downforce on the rear axle, just by baffleing the air that comes across the car.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Is that what they told you so you would buy the one with them? lol, jk! Very interesting.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Is that what they told you so you would buy the one with them? lol, jk! Very interesting.
lol actually, the mr evo is the only one that comes with them. As you can see by the pics of my evo, which is an mr se, I don't even have them.

Here is the research for those who like to see the research and graphs/images of them

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

Google Image Result for http://image.motortrend.com/f/9080027+w786+ar1/112_0503_evos_08z+2005_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_mr+vortex_generators_view.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.