Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know I am going to get mixed reviews and told not to put these in stock, not to buy there blah blah.

Iv had a few people tell me VVME is great, and for 40 bucks Ill take my chances. I had a friend who rocked 6000k's in his mustang with tinted headlights and he said it was a white in the day but had a blue tint at night.

I am wanting to get the blue/white mix. Not too white, and you can tell there is a blue to it. But not under the sea blue or cop attention blue.

So my question to all of you ESP those who have VVME's

or

Help me decide because I am probably ordering tonight as I am sick of flipping back and forth and its time for a new mod ;P

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I think 8k is a little too blue. Butbidk about the vvme.I have 6ks and they are white with a tiny bit of blue

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Plus 8000 degree Kelvin doesn't give a lot of visible light to humans. You will think you have candles for lights.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Driving in the rain with 8000k is horrible!!! Go with 6000, I've had both

·
Registered
350 Posts
Or just go with 4,300k and put them in projectors, preferably retrofits, so you'll get maximum output, including in the rain. I can never understand why people go "BLUE" for headlights. It's stupid, it's dumb, it's silly. All you're doing is replicating the effect projectors have when the car is far away going over the bumps in the road. It's called "color flicker." Most projectors have a blue/purple color band at the top of the cutoff and it's just dumb that anybody would try to replicate this by buying blue bulbs. Remember, you lose brightness as you go up in kelvin. 4,300k is the brightest. Bluer light scatters in the rain.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
i assumed he didnt want to go with retrofits or else i wouldve said exactly what you said and to go 4300k

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or just go with 4,300k and put them in projectors, preferably retrofits, so you'll get maximum output, including in the rain. I can never understand why people go "BLUE" for headlights. It's stupid, it's dumb, it's silly. All you're doing is replicating the effect projectors have when the car is far away going over the bumps in the road. It's called "color flicker." Most projectors have a blue/purple color band at the top of the cutoff and it's just dumb that anybody would try to replicate this by buying blue bulbs. Remember, you lose brightness as you go up in kelvin. 4,300k is the brightest. Bluer light scatters in the rain.
Some of it is a matter of preference and where you drive. 4300°K will give you the most visible light to the human eyes if what you want to see is yellow stuff, I prefer a whiter light between 5300°K and 5800°K only because of all the white tail deer in my area. I find you clearly see their license plate when they lift their tails with a whiter light or the white on their chest. Also I'm getting older and find the white lettering on the street signs a lot more legible with whiter light.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have 6000K's.
Look at my pictures in my albums.
They're perfect.
But there are a difference between 35W and 55W's in color..

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have 6500°K on the Outlander and 5800°K on the Cobalt. I prefer the 5800°K they give out more visible light for the same wattage and not as blue.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 6000K's.
Look at my pictures in my albums.
They're perfect.
But there are a difference between 35W and 55W's in color..
Damn those are 6000ks? Those are super blue!
Are those from VVME?

I think I am going to go with 6000k's Just hope im not disappointed when I get pure white instead of white with a slight blue -.-

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Damn those are 6000ks? Those are super blue!
Are those from VVME?

I think I am going to go with 6000k's Just hope im not disappointed when I get pure white instead of white with a slight blue -.-
55W 6000K's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would advise against 55W. Putting HID lighting in headlights that were not designed for it already creates a lot of glare, 55W only magnifies that. Some reflectors handle it better than others, still you should really stick with 35W kits as a courtesy to other drivers.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
55 W is like 60% brighter than 35W.
If you aim them right, they're fine.

Jack,
I got mine from HIDwerks.com

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
ive never personally seen hids in non projector housings that didnt glare at oncoming drivers. ive had a lot of hids and mine always glared.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would go with the 6000 Kelvins. The higher you go up, the visibility of the roads tend to fade away. OEM halogens are rated at 3500k and you can see the road, but a bit of yellow is in there. Good reference would be an older IS300 by Lexus with the optional HID system, they used 6000k and its darn good for seeing the road. Them Honda gurus with them purple HID's cant see more than 5 feet away.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
^^That.

It's not wattage based, it's Kelvan based.

4-6k is ideal. Anything less is for Lexus style/JDM fogs...and anything more is like driving under the ocean.

Get a 4300, 5k, or 6k...55W kit.

You're welcome.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.