Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm runing at 8 psi and i want to boost up to 10 psi ive heard that its safe on the engine but i just want to make sure and would i need to get it tuned for just for the extra 2 psi.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
weak rods and the wrong compression ratio in that engine. if you do some meth injection im sure you can squeeze in another 2 psi safe for daily driving and normal abuse. don't take my word for it though, i've never personally dealt with turbocharging the LAP, just speaking from experience with similar setups.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It isn't about just throwing more boost at it. Keep it at 8psi...put meth on it...and turn up the timing till you get a blip of knock...then back it down a degree or 2. Done. Much more power.

·
Registered
611 Posts
What about the l61? I'm thinking about getting bigger injectors and converting to e-85. Would that be too much for the stock internals? I have the zzp stage 2 turbo kit at 8 psi right now...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
E85 is nothing more than a cleaned out gas tank, new fuel filter that can handle the E85 and way bigger injectors and a tune. Like I've heard and I don't know since the L61 can't handle lots of boost because of weak rods I'd go with more timing and fuel then I would a boost increase

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah, I don't wanna turn the boost up but if i can pull a little more timing that would be nice. I will eventually be getting rods, pistons, sleeves, and possibly turbo grind cams. Someone else said all I need is bigger injectors and a retune to convert to e-85.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Right you do...running E85 is basically like 113 octane all the time. Also...race tolerant o2 sensors wouldn't be a bad idea either. I have them in the GTP and its nice to be able to run 93 on the street and 114? I think it is...at the strip...where most stock sensors hate anything over 94-96 and start to foul out.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Stock rods in the L61 are rated to 250HP.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It isn't about just throwing more boost at it. Keep it at 8psi...put meth on it...and turn up the timing till you get a blip of knock...then back it down a degree or 2. Done. Much more power.
i am on stock pulley/injectors making 260whp with a mild tune and VP M1 60/40 meth/exhaust/intake. meth ftw.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Stock rods in the L61 are rated to 250HP.
this

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Extra boost is fine as long as you don't put your power levels above what the stock internals can handle.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You ask that and you already turbo'd your car? Sorry...that would defiantly been something I would have looked into before tossing boost at it.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
It'll handle more than that if it has forged rods...

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
i was gonna ask wut motor u have.

i have a 2.4 running 10 psi with a 50 trim turbo.

im gonna be bumping to 12 psi shortly. 2.4s have been able to go to 400whpi plan to keep mine at 300-350 while i gather internals

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
yeah the 2.2 can only handle 8-10psi so the 2.4 can handle slightly more, i would say at least 12-15psi
8-10 on a turbo, right?

It's about 15psi max on a supercharger application.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
its not that it CAN run higher. it does because its a smaller motor.

and its really not about psi. its about the cfm ur power adder pushes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.