Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING, MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT:

I took my car into the dealership because my passenger side headlight keeps accumulating more and more moisture in it, and the moisture has begun to permanently exist inside my headlight and not go away.

I have a set of 9007 HIDs installed in my headlights. The dealership called me back and told me they refuse to replace or even look at my headlights because my bulbs are aftermarket bulbs.

The bulbs are the same 9007 socket style and have the same seals. I have checked to be certain that they are seated right and that the issues aren't due to my HIDs. Also, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)):

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

basically the law states that the warrantor (Chevrolet) cannot require the customer (me) to use a specific part or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name. Therefore I should be able to have whatever brand bulbs I want in my headlights. Now if my headlight bulbs are what cause the issue of the moisture, then that would void my warranty, but I know it is not my bulbs. I have even put back in stock bulbs and run them for over a week and I still have moisture problems.

The service manager told me he didn't care what the law said and that he won't work on my headlights. He told me if i wanted too i could take it up with GM and file a complaint and go through them. I started a trouble ticket with them but I'm not sure how things will actually work out. At this point I think the best option would be to put in my stock bulbs again and then return to the dealership with the moisture problem and try and get them to correct it. I think it is ridiculous that I have to pull my headlights out and do that when the law clearly states that my warranty should not be affected.

any thoughts? suggestions?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pitch a fit. I hate dealerships. They will try to void warranties for any and every reason. Don't give up, that's my only word of advice

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to do my best but even going to the highest level of management at that dealership did nothing for me. I've never been to such an unreasonable dealer before. I usually go to a certain dealer back home but since im back at college i'm stuck with just this one dealer and the next closest chevrolet dealership is around 2 hrs away.

I dug out my factory headlight bulbs and i am going to buy a set of stock turn signals again. I'll put them in and wait a week to make sure the moisture persists and go back I guess. I don't exactly know what they are going to tell me when i return though..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.