Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just wondering if it's just me or if all of your Cobalt's have this, but my car battery is in my trunk right by my spare tire. This seems really weird to me and pretty much everyone else who has seen it. Is it just me or do all of your Cobalts have this? And why??

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah, it flipped me out too when I first saw it cuz i didnt know cobalts were like that, but yeah, they're all back there... not sure why, prob didnt have, or want, to make room for it under the hood, lol

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
it's actually VERY VERY convenient too. especially for car audio

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree, it's very convienent to have it in the back as it reduces clutter in the engine bay, and slightly helps with weight distribution.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
its not common but its not exactly rare. I know BMW does it as well

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The battery is in your trunk because it saves the life of your battery. The heat from the engine sometimes dries up the battery quicker. Thats why it is in the trunk to stay cool.

This is what i got from my dealership

·
Registered
276 Posts
^Really? Interesting.
I had a theory about it making it easier to jump start another car on the side of the road... dunno if that'd work real well but hey it's an under-informed theory.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
hmm... sounds kinda like bs. i like having the battery in the trunk though anyways

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh I didn't mean that's *why* they put it there. Just that it'd be a benefit of being back there, ya know like just another good reason to have it there.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yes and when you go to change your oil the filter is on top of the engine so you do not have to crawl under your car to change the filter

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
thats sweet. gm really made our cars to be as easy do work on as possible eh

·
Registered
277 Posts
Im gonna go with Lobalt (like usual) on guessing its because of lack of space. I prefer the battery in the trunk cause you have power on both ends of the car which is very convenient.

·
Registered
802 Posts
like twiztedbalt stated it is true the battery is in teh back because under the hood it's more exposed to the elements of water heat and all that good what not hoopity crap and so now bein that it's out of the elements the heat wont dry up the cells and water wont corrode the posts for the battery... and bein that its in a more stable spot as far as temprature adjustments the batters put's out more stable ground and voltage.. every car i've ever owned i've moved the battery to the backseat or in the trunk..

·
Registered
240 Posts
The main reason the battery is in the trunk is because it improves the handling of the vehicle. Most of the weight of a vehicle, (especially a front wheel drive vehicle with its transverse engine), is over the front end, making the vehicle unbalanced and with comparatively poor weight dristribution. This makes the vehicle nose heavy and handling isn't anything to write home about. The best handling will come from a vehicle with 50% of its weight over the front end and 50% over the read end. Moving the battery to the trunk is taking a heavy load from the front end of the vehicle and putting it to the rear of the vehicle, from one extreme to the other, which improves handling via superior weight distribution.

Most of the high end sports cars will have the battery in the trunk for this reason. It is a well known handling, "trick", to do with a vehicle. Moving that much weight from the front end of the vehicle to the rear, provides the same performance weight distribution benefits as moving the engine 6" back on the frame.

I hope I explained it well for you. :)

So I was just wondering if it's just me or if all of your Cobalt's have this, but my car battery is in my trunk right by my spare tire. This seems really weird to me and pretty much everyone else who has seen it. Is it just me or do all of your Cobalts have this? And why??

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I do believe that all of these are possible factors. But I think it is mostly due to lack of space under the hood. On the ss/sc's the intake system goes to the right and on the other models, the intake system goes to the left. So there is not really a neutral place they could put the battery other than the trunk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.