Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, just bought new 2006 chevy cobalt coupe with no pioneer. The two front speakers don't work, however, when I went to my mechanic he tried to install others ones, which was like 150 watts or something and the sound was barely coming out of them. So he told me that I need less than 50 watts speakers in order to work. Is that right? Can anyone elaborate this please? And I found these speakers, would these be fine?

Dual Audio DLS654 6.5-Inch Coaxial Car Door Speakers

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your mechanic probably just had the wrong ohms. If you go with same ohms you should be good . No use going to high in wattage since OEM radio only pushes 50 watts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unless you plan on adding an amp to your system, you should be looking at standard, 4 ohm, 50 watt "max power" coaxial speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, would these be good:

Dual Audio DLS654 6.5-Inch Coaxial Car Door Speakers

And you meant with 50 watts MAX, does that mean that the speakers must have min of 50 watts and max watts could be anything??

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm sure I'm way too late with this answer, but I'll post anyway.

Most coaxial speakers will only list a max wattage, and for the size used in the doors of the cobalt, 50 is the standard. It's basically just a warning for people running the speakers on an amp, because most all head units on the market deliver a constant wattage of somewhere between 18 and 23 watts and there's not a risk of blowing them unless you just keep it on max volume for an extended period of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.