Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im sure everyone here has or knows how to wax there car....but some people do it wrong and i think i might be one of those people, when ever i wax my car it looks clean and shiny, but when the sun hits it you can see the swirl marks from me wiping down the car with a towel, now i use mirco fiber towels which are very soft and recomened so i dont know what im doin wrong here. I use the applicator pad that comes with it. The wax that im using is meguiars tech wax, its in a liquid form and i get the applicator damp put the wax on it, then wax the car in a circular motion, i usually wait about 1 min. before wiping it clean with two separate cloths. I also think i do big portions when i wax, for exp. when i do my hood i usually split it in to quarters, is this to big?

Now my big question is, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE!!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Bad news for ya...the swirl marks are not always the wax. It can also be from the sand/small debris in your wash water/wash towel too -- fine scratches in your paint. One of the tricks we used to do on show cars was to use "Finesse-It II" or "liquid Ebony". These need to be applied with a foam pad on an electric buffer and they tend to throw little globules on your windows, chrome, and lamp covers that you have to remove. Then we would apply wax to make the "Finesse It II" or "liquid Ebony" last longer. That was how we got the paint to look like glass.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Those swirl marks are more likely from you washing the car then waxing although if there are contaminants in the wax pad you may be doing it while waxing as well. You need to make sure every thing that touches your car is clean. If it's been dropped on the floor or ground since it's last cleaning it's not clean.

To get rid of the swirls you are going to have to buff it out with an orbital polisher. Check out Autopia from tips on that.

Also never use liquid wax, it's crap. Get a good paste wax like Zymol, Meqs Gold Class, or Zaino Brothers. A good quality wax will protect better the next time you wash. Also be sure to clay bar your car atleast every couple months to help remove the contaminants from the paint, which will also help prevent swirling when you wash and wax.

If you do it right you should be able to see things like bridges and sunsets in your reflection without any swirls or spots. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thx ill look in to getting some new wax...and iv wanted to clay bar my car for a while now but it seems like it would take a while and its a lil to cold out right now....

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think i know what you are talking about with the swirrl marks, what i use ZYMOL wax on my car it is a cleaner wax and leaves swirrl marks that no matter how much you rub on the paint they are really hard to get off. what i usually do and what the zymol recommends is once all the white chalky wax is removed get a spray bottle and spray a fine mist of water on paint then wipe off with another clean rag. This process works really well for me. hope it helps.

cncd11 added 3 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

claying a car is taking a clay bar and rubbing it over the entire paint surface, this removes any dirt, old wax, and any other impurities that cant be removed from normal washing. this is usually the first step in a good wax job.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Damn, i guess i have to be stupid here. What is clay barring?
I suggest getting the Mothers Clay system because it comes with clay, lube, and wax cleaner. It's a little more beginner friendly then jumping into just a clay and lube set up like Zymol because they really made the lube noob friendly so it practically never wears down while you are doing it.

You just simply spray the lube over a small area then run the clay bar over it. You don't even apply pressure just simply running it over the surface will do. You will actually feel it picking up contaminants. Afterwards your car will be silky smooth. Then of course you wash off any residue and wax it with your favorite wax.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Swirl marks can also come from those automatic car washes as well....i would clay bar the crap out of your car and then wax it and buff it out with an orbital buffer/ polisher

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
let me take a guess.... do you have a black balt? If so black cars never come clean, ever. Get a red car

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Na...i got me a dark blue balt...its called imperial blue, it almost looks black though

Ill try that Mothers Clay system though do i have to order it or can i pick it up at like a auto zone or something?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Na...i got me a dark blue balt...its called imperial blue, it almost looks black though

Ill try that Mothers Clay system though do i have to order it or can i pick it up at like a auto zone or something?
You can get it at autozone or similar places. It in a red rectangular box that is taller then it is long.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Try claybarring the finish first, that will knock down the imperfections and take off anything the regular wash missed. The polish/wax job will be much nicer after claybarring the car, I have done both ways on my car. Also, get one of those cheap orbital buffers. They'll save your elbows and are only like $10 at WalMart. They will blend everything together much faster and get rid of the swirls.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay im on my way to walmart here in about 20 min...so these orbital buffers is basically what you put the wax on and it waxes it for you. Its kinda like an automatic buffer in sense?

And for these orbital buffers do you put the wax on it, or use it to take the wax off? Or both?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so i got the Mothers Clay Bar Kit, now i just need to wait for a nice day out were i have a free day to do it...and I got like a 3 inch piece of clay lol, I thought I would be a little bit more than that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Okay so i got the Mothers Clay Bar Kit, now i just need to wait for a nice day out were i have a free day to do it...and I got like a 3 inch piece of clay lol, I thought I would be a little bit more than that.
nah, it doesn't take much. You can just keep re working the clay over and over it again. You can probably do your car 2 or 3 times with one bar if not more. Once it gets good and worn and you have retired it from doing your paint you can use it on your lights and windows for a while as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh really....So when i use it on the lights and windows do I use the lube that comes with it or just rub the clay bar straight on it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Okay im on my way to walmart here in about 20 min...so these orbital buffers is basically what you put the wax on and it waxes it for you. Its kinda like an automatic buffer in sense?

And for these orbital buffers do you put the wax on it, or use it to take the wax off? Or both?
The buffers make a not quite circular obround kind of pattern. I don't know if you've ever worked with metal or wood but it's basically like a big version of an oscilator you would use to sand steel or wood with. Only difference is this ones bigger and with a soft pad on it. There are other soft pads that mount to one of those Miluakee 4.5" grinder bodies you see at a hardware store, the 90 degree angle ones, and would just spin in a circle with no oscillations. They spin fast and have a bunch of power so you could take the finish off if you got too agressive with it, lol, wouldn't want that.

I apply the wax/polish by hand and then use the buffer to smooth it all out. Yours should have instructions with it though, might want to see what they say is the best way to apply and polish.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really?...wouldn't that lube stuff leave like a greasy residue on your window? Or does it wash right off...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.