Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the past couple weeks, I've noticed a weird rattle/flutter after startup on my 08 LS. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay towards the right (from driver pos) and it only happens when I haven't started the car after a few hours. The longer I let the car sit before starting, the more it does it. I turn the car on and it lasts for about 2-3 seconds, then goes away. If I try to restart it, I cannot get it to duplicate. But if I let the car sit for a few hours it does it again. It seems to run fine without any problems whatsoever. Anybody know what this could be?

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
I think mine does that. Rather loud?

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Mine always did it. Never been able to pinpoint it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think mine does that. Rather loud?
Not TOO loud, but I can hear from the interior, so loud enough. If I ever get a chance to see you down on woodward or at my house or something, I'll show yah. Although most likely if I'm down on Woodward the car won't be sitting long enough to get it to do it lol...

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Maybe if I remember I'll take a video of mine when it does it (which, like yours, is only at certain times).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe if I remember I'll take a video of mine when it does it (which, like yours, is only at certain times).
yeah, that would be sweet, if you can get it to do it. I might do the same lol...Just took it to Hargreaves dealer for tire rotation and oil change (wanted to do it myself for the first time but my dad doesn't have the tools right now), we'll see if they see anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would bet its the oil draining out of the filter housing and oil galleys and causing valve tick.
Not familiar with those parts, but would that be something that would likely go away after an oil change? Cuz I just got one and it still does it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does it do it more when its cold out? Its a common problem with many cars out there I get about a call a week or so at work. My cobalt and mustang do it every now and then and a oil change wouldn't fix it if they don't oil the little oring on the filter so it makes a good seal. The oring and the solid part of the center tube on our filters is the only thing keeping the oil in the housing and galleys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't seem to, but the temp has been pretty constant here in Michigan, but towards night time it doesn't seem to change. But again, I only get it after no less than like an hour of down time, so I don't get to hear it often. Pretty much only in the morning when it's been sitting all night, is when it does it the most. I'll keep listening lol...:p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats what it sounds like to me. If you do your own oil change next time check the hole where that oring seals to make sure there isn't any cracks or any thing that would cause it to leak there.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Not familiar with those parts, but would that be something that would likely go away after an oil change? Cuz I just got one and it still does it.
When you took your Cobalt to the dealer for an oil change, did they have any input as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alright if it is the sound I have that you are hearing, I have pin pointed it. Mine has done it since 17,000 miles. And been to the dealer 5 times, under warranty. I won't fix the damn thing because it is under warranty. I have been told it is normal 3 times, noisy lifters once, and serpentine belt tensioner once. I took the belt off and tensioner and started the motor, still made the noise, changed it out anyway. Still does it, it's getting louder and louder now, car has about 55,000 on it.
I've got it down to the timing chain area, it is the timing chain stretched out due to the tensioner going bad, or it is a chain guide. No pressure in that area on startup will cause it to smack around. No dealer will trust my word, so I'm just waiting for the motor to pop, then I can prove it. Sending in an oil test to see abnormal wear/metal particles, and pulling the valve cover this week to check timing/slack.
Good luck, no dealer will touch it. I won't buy another GM product.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hydraulic tensioner

Sending in an oil test to see abnormal wear/metal particles, and pulling the valve cover this week to check timing/slack.
Good luck, no dealer will touch it. I won't buy another GM product.
I said that in 2002 and here I am with an other GM. Cheap second hand.

Does this engine have a hydraulic tensioner or a spring loaded one?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.