Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just today I went in my car to clean it and noticed this weird ticking noise, seems like it's coming from the fuse box inside the car, what is this?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Were your keys in the ignition?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
probably the rap relay, it keeps your car alive for 20 seconds or so after you open a door and keys are out of the ignition.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think so, never heard mine but I'm half deaft

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the "ticking" sound is the pole being magnetized and switching from 87a-87 on the 30 (bosch type relay). You can test relays by energizing them and not only hearing it, but putting a finger on top to feel it engage the throw.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the "ticking" sound is the pole being magnetized and switching from 87a-87 on the 30 (bosch type relay). You can test relays by energizing them and not only hearing it, but putting a finger on top to feel it engage the throw.
ah thanks! :thanks

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
You can always test the resistance of the coil with an ohm meter. If I remember right, 70-80 ohms is about what to expect. Look for the Greek letter omega on your multimeter.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Very low resistance would indicate a short. OL (open loop) means she's completely buggered lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can always test the resistance of the coil with an ohm meter. If I remember right, 70-80 ohms is about what to expect. Look for the Greek letter omega on your multimeter.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Very low resistance would indicate a short. OL (open loop) means she's completely buggered lol
well i just looked now and it stopped, like it dont last for long

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.