Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months now, my drivers side floor board and the steering column has been vibrating pretty hard.. What could it be?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
For a few months now, my drivers side floor board and the steering column has been vibrating pretty hard.. What could it be?
Have you balanced your wheels lately? is your steering wheel itself also vibrating? If so is it an up/down vibration motion or like more of a circular cockwise/counterclockwise vibration?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
the steering column in cobalt is bad , I had read on the internet tons of people problems with the steering column on their cobalts - Take it to the deler and let them fix it , I think they know prety good about that problem .

Let us know Whats going on with your problem

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I agree with the out of balance thing. you get a pretty nasty vibration

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i have no idea.. but the vibrating goes up an down and like side to side.. it's pretty bad.. my husband thinks its the rack & pinion.. has anyone had to replace that?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I kind of have the same problem. my column shakes side to side. I found out that when im in a gear (manual) that the problem almost goes away.
But i also my whole front end of the car shakes coming to a light, and im pretty sure my brakes are warped. Don't know whats the cause of the steering shaking. might call the dealer ship once it opens

·
Registered
381 Posts
I kind of have the same problem. my column shakes side to side. I found out that when im in a gear (manual) that the problem almost goes away.
But i also my whole front end of the car shakes coming to a light, and im pretty sure my brakes are warped. Don't know whats the cause of the steering shaking. might call the dealer ship once it opens
That sounds like warped front rotors and unbalanced wheels. The OP's issue also sounds like unbalanced wheels rather than a steering column issue.

Check the wheel balance first before you tear the steering column apart.

·
Registered
165 Posts
& yes the steering wheel vibrates
when do you get the vibration.
When you apply the brakes?
just casually driving?
or all the time?
I called the dealership and talk to a service rep. Asked him about both yours and my problems and he said it all rotors causing it, they are warped. you have the ability to get the "re surfaced" but its not worth the price. Just buy a new set, think about ones better than oem. (i will)

·
Registered
381 Posts
cmeredith0, how many miles are on your car? My front rotors were warped within 10,000 miles and the dealership resurfaced them for free. My rear brake pads and rotors were also replaced under warranty at 13,000 miles. SS/TC braking system FTW.

·
Registered
165 Posts
cmeredith0, how many miles are on your car? My front rotors were warped within 10,000 miles and the dealership resurfaced them for free. My rear brake pads and rotors were also replaced under warranty at 13,000 miles. SS/TC braking system FTW.
yeah i talked to him about that too. my car has 23k so it wont fall under the warranty, like you said under 13k. And Their asking $200+ to resurface, told him id have to pass on that awesome deal:sick: haha,

Also even with all the vibration nothings bad is going to happen to the car. Its just going to be really annoying to the driver.

Time for new rotors
maybe ebc's or powerslots :noworry:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like you need new rotars to me, espicially if it's when you hit the brakes. My Nissan Truck did the same thing before I got it fixed, had to get new brakes/rotars.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
does it feel loose? could be the intermediate shaft pinch bolt that's loose or worn. possibly steering coupler. could even be a bad tie rod end which is unlikely but possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.