Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys !

Just went to the track for the first time with my Cobalt :D it's nearly stock, so nothing fancy there (just a CAI). I had a blast nonetheless !

Lots of understeering, I need to gauge my throttle better I guess.

Link to the video:

Sorry for the music, but it's way better listening to that than to me and my friend babbling in the car haha

Album of the photos I took at the Cars & Coffee: ICAR circuit Cars & Coffee - July 11th 2016 - Album on Imgur

Can't wait to beat my time with more mods and better technique !

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
The car is going to oversteer like hell without a grippy tire up front and a big rear swaybar.

Even with my Powell Hardcore bar out back - if I'm running my steelies and 195 all-seasons, the front tires will lose grip almost instantly and plow through a turn - even more terrifying when the tail is already out from the swaybar causing intended oversteer.

With my ZIIs on, the front sticks, and the rear rotates in a controlled fashion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running new Bridgestone Potenza all around, so I think it helped me quite a lot. The car understeers like hell though. Every time I touch the throttle in a turn my car just screams and glide towards the outside of the turn haha

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
What Potenzas - I had Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions, which were the best all season you could get in a 195/60R15 - but even if I had summer tires, that skinny/tall of a tire isn't going to do anything else but roll over and slide.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah, that's still a relatively mild (all-season) and tall tire. Put a good summer tire on there, and that will help tremendously - as will shocks/struts/springs and a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before fitting better tires, I just want to find the SS/TC rims because they look awesome ! But it's near impossible to find a set :(

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah, you'll need an 18 anyway. 16s require too tall of a sidewall.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I can't say I have seen any that do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys !

Just went to the track for the first time with my Cobalt :D it's nearly stock, so nothing fancy there (just a CAI). I had a blast nonetheless !

Lots of understeering, I need to gauge my throttle better I guess.

Link to the video: Time attack - 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - ICAR circuit - YouTube

Sorry for the music, but it's way better listening to that than to me and my friend babbling in the car haha

Album of the photos I took at the Cars & Coffee: ICAR circuit Cars & Coffee - July 11th 2016 - Album on Imgur

Can't wait to beat my time with more mods and better technique !

Looks like a lot of fun ? but would a frint and rear sway bar reduce understeer or is it also the tires that prevent it. Last time my car slided was on the exit ramp of a highway very small room to maneuver, lucky me though i didnt panick and didnt hit anything as well ?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
To get the car to rotate through a turn, you need a rear swaybar. But in order to make use of that and not still plow (understeer) through the turn, you need tires that will stick up front - an all-season won't cut it. The Powell Hardcore bar was a great addition to my car (already had SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks and SS/SC lower control arms and 24mm front bar), but it wasn't until I got my ZIIs that it really did what it was supposed to.

With the big rear bar, having an upgraded (SS/SC or SS/TC are perfect) front bar helps to make everything a complete package, without making the car more tail-happy than you want.

·
Registered
134 Posts
To get the car to rotate through a turn, you need a rear swaybar. But in order to make use of that and not still plow (understeer) through the turn, you need tires that will stick up front - an all-season won't cut it. The Powell Hardcore bar was a great addition to my car (already had SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks and SS/SC lower control arms and 24mm front bar), but it wasn't until I got my ZIIs that it really did what it was supposed to.

With the big rear bar, having an upgraded (SS/SC or SS/TC are perfect) front bar helps to make everything a complete package, without making the car more tail-happy than you want.
Hm ill have to look into that for the future but why did you changebyour control arms? What was wrong with the stock ones.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
FE5s are cast aluminum, so they weigh about 20% less.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FE5s are cast aluminum, so they weigh about 20% less.
makes sense so wait if i wanted to upgrade pparts under my car should i just look for fe5 parts for like control arms and other things like that? thought thye only made them for struts and shocks

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
FE5 is the suspension package RPO code - consisting of control arms, sway bar, shocks, struts. Base models got the FE1 suspension, SS/NA & Sport models got the FE3, and SS/SC and SS/TCs have FE5 (though they are different).

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Looks awesome man! I wish we had a track here :( Almost all the other islands has a track except mines

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.