Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midwest Metal

When i bought my cobalt, i was just happy i could GET a car, with my piss-poor loser credit. now i really hate that i have the only thing in america as/more common than a civic. However I am beginning to like the idea of customize-ing it myself, now i just wish i got the SS, and since i did not, i of course want to make it the best lt in existance .... or well i DID. After a lot of rediculous dreaming, and dissapointment, i finally came up with a more realistic plan, that can progress into some really expensive mods if i actually pursue it.

i'm thinkin; to get in the 240-260HP range i could go with...

supercharger
2.4 manifold
header, high-flow cat, catback exhaust -2.5in
lightweight pullys (underdrive?)
engine/transmition mounts
b&m shift kit (i have an auto)

i think after a trifecta tune all this was close to like 3K, since i figure it would take like 3 years before i'm really done with that and most individual components can be bought at or less than about 250$, i think it's not an impossible feat, and could one-day happen.

a little less likely...

i want to convert the back to the sedan tail lights because it's not so easy to ID as a cobalt (really i just need the g5 back bumper trunk lid and rear lights, so it might not be so bad if i can get paint done without bieng raped)

air-ride suspension, i live in Chicago, i want to be able to drive/race with the car real low, but potholes are a b**ch, so i need clearance at random times, unfortunatly it will cost like nearly $1500, so it's MUCH less-likely.

and since i plan on keeping the car 'til it dies, one day, sometime after the warrentee is dead, it would be fun to use some tuned wet-shot nitrous to get the car to do just over 310 HP (YEAH RIGHT!! i know it's totally possible, ...and cheap, but in order to do more than 250HP i know the piston stem, or arm or whatever the part is called that the piston mounts to, needs replacement, and it's unlikely that i will open the engine up THAT much, plus it IS FWD)

i dont know if this sounds dumb or impossible, but i really think it's possible if i give it enough time, go slow and wait for all the right parts to be together before i get ahead of myself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought, i bought the thing new (ok it had 4500 miles on it, but thats nothing) and i have no kids/wife and i have a steady 9-5 job like every other joe jackoff so i actually can put that money into the car (i mean it's still gunna take like 3 years) the real question is can i dedicate to a distant goal long enough to actually see it happen, or will i start breakin stuff get frustrated and give up? .....it's a coin-toss really. i mean it's like i dropped out of highschool, but i also graduated college. it could go either way......i should start giving odds.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

definately possible-ish lol
just if you wanna throw down the money for it is all
Welcome
oh yea, and thanks alot phil.... Pantera fan?

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome to yc

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you are indeed going to go supercharged, the 2.4 manifold will be useless to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum.

If you are indeed going to go supercharged, the 2.4 manifold will be useless to you.
thanks, y would the maifold be useless? i figured more intake capacity would be a good thing since thats what the SC is going to provide, but i'm also an IT tech, so the stuff that seems logical to me might not transfer equally into the world of mechanics, either way, how would i not use the 2.4 manifold?
BTW i sorta got the idea after reading what you said about it
....i think

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

thanks, is your name really Travis?

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Because if you are going to put the supercharger on you need the LSJ Intake manifold. Thats the only one that the M62 will bolt up to. There is no way around it. TRUST me...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
please cirtisize my plan, i need to know what i'm really getting into, 'cause in the end i kinda just want this thing to be an ultimate DD, mostly look nice, easy to drive, cool electronics (i told ya i'm a tech-head), and no slouch on the road when you really do wanna go. i think thats a plausable goal for this car.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Because if you are going to put the supercharger on you need the LSJ Intake manifold. Thats the only one that the M62 will bolt up to. There is no way around it. TRUST me....
oh damn your totally right!, i should have noticed from all the parts lists, those 2 parts are in direct contact w/eachother they HAVE to match up, unless i try to fab up some kind of one-off (not gunna happen) thanks for the logic-check

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
please cirtisize my plan, i need to know what i'm really getting into, 'cause in the end i kinda just want this thing to be an ultimate DD, mostly look nice, easy to drive, cool electronics (i told ya i'm a tech-head), and no slouch on the road when you really do wanna go. i think thats a plausable goal for this car.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

oh damn your totally right!, i should have noticed from all the parts lists, those 2 parts are in direct contact w/eachother they HAVE to match up, unless i try to fab up some kind of one-off (not gunna happen) thanks for the logic-check
Not to sound cocky...but yes i am right, Thanks.

IF you are serious about going supercharged. Please copy and paste the first post from this thread. Print that out and as you order/acquire the parts..check em off your list.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to sound cocky...but yes i am right, Thanks.

IF you are serious about going supercharged. Please copy and paste the first post from this thread. Print that out and as you order/acquire the parts..check em off your list.
yea, iv'e looked at this a bunch of times, i have an auto and i dont know how that will change the parts list (so far it looks like just the the header/downpipe) but that list sorta freaks me out, it talks about brake tubing and switching up the windshield assembly to run the opposite direction (actually that dosent seem so bad) but it does bring in a lot of things i hadn't thought about (i really still wanna do it though)

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

it seems like i don't sound crazy w/the plan so far though

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
yea, iv'e looked at this a bunch of times, i have an auto and i dont know how that will change the parts list (so far it looks like just the the header/downpipe) but that list sorta freaks me out, it talks about brake tubing and switching up the windshield assembly to run the opposite direction (actually that dosent seem so bad) but it does bring in a lot of things i hadn't thought about (i really still wanna do it though)
Technically the only thing you will have to do is hammer in a section near the rad support so the pulley on the M62 doesn't hit it. I'll get MP81 to post a picture for you. He did this in his Auto cobalt and everythings fine and dandy. Just do you research and ask questions if needed. Search around the site.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks man, i have been using this site for research for like a month before i said a word to anybody. i really appreiciate your input especially (XFE) you seem like one of the few people who knows from doing it and f**king up first, and thats always been the way i learn best (so hopefully i can use expierence like yours to avoid killing my car, lol)
seroiusly, thanks

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kick-a$$!, with any luck i might actually get this done one day! If i do i'm takin' you all out for beers ....after we beat it up on a track a little... HA! (hey why not, michigan's not that far... i mean it's not afghanastan)

thanks again

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

i'll get you a plane ticket XFE lol

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Haha, if the timing is right, anything is possible...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.