Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i live on the west coast of BC near Vancouver. so basically it rains alot. I recently put the KN cold air into my cobalt, and today was the first time it rained hard, I thought it would be okay where it is located but driving 180-190km/h on the highway the water kinda got forced up the pipe into the engine compartment and got the bottom of my air filter all wet. I don't suppose it would hurt it at all but water mixing in with my air/fuel mixture is not good. How can I keep it dry in their or prevent water getting in? Or will it not harm it at all?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It will not hurt anything unless it actually sucks up a substantial amount of water. Sounds like it was just enought to be a small mist which is harmless. If you really are worried about it. Injen sells a hydroshield that just wraps around your filter

·
Registered
446 Posts
K&N also sells a dry charger that wraps around the filter too. I decided to get one after all the rain that hit us in SoCal this year and was afraid of the same problem. This is just one of a couple choices. Like daman said, injen sells one too.

RU-5147DK - K&N Filter Wraps, Air Filter Wrap

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Or just take the cheap way out, and not fly down the highways at breakneck speed in the rain!

i'm born in BC, and i know that speed in the rain, on those highways, is just begging for issues!

·
Registered
450 Posts
i'm not positive about your application, but you could also buy whats called a bypass valve. it's made by AEM and goes between your filter and the throttlebody. once it loses suction say if you were to actually suck up a substantial amount of water, the valve closes off the lower section of your intake and opens up breathers located around the radius of the valve. but daman is right unless you take in quite a bit of water you should be fine. we lost an srt-4 engine that way. took in a little more than 3 gallons of water through the intercooler and all. bent a rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.