Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i have read a few threads about a wet passenger floor and am wondering if anyone can explain were this clip or plug is that breaks and needs epoxied. the water is dripping out of the plastic box behind the center of the dash, not the blower motor, when it rains. i'll be cleaning out the drain today, but in case just want to see how much of the dash or cowl i will need to rip off to fix this. i'll be changing my cabin filter too just to be sure. when i run the fan on high with the ac off it has that musty smell so i am guessing it could be wet. thanks in advance for answering my question thats been asked a lot of times. i just couldn't find the info on the plug i was looking for. the search thing doesn't give you what you're looking for. when i search wet passenger floor, why does it give me misfire and idle problems....lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well I think that clip that was talked about was BS from the dealer, because the A/C unit is an enclosed unit that only has one drain at the bottom. Unless they meant that water came in at one of the four plastic nutserts that the A/C unit bolts too on the firewall. These if broken might let some water in behind the A/C unit. Oops, got side tracked.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No go on the drain. It is clear about 4 inches in then i hit what i assume is hard plastic. Not to mention the insulation on the firewall below the drain is soaking wet! It hasn't rained since thursday and it is still dripping. Cabin filter is a little dirty, but nothing like the one i saw in the diy section, but it has to be excessive condensation from the ac since it was still dripping today. Totally stumped, other than maybe the windshield wasn't installed correctly, except that it doesn't have to rain fir it to do this. Any other thing you guys have found that could cause this?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe it is just condensation on the A/C box itself if you live in a very humid area. Next time you come home with A/C on check under dash to see if outside of unit is wet from condensation. I always turn off A/C about 2Kms from destination to melt the ice on the exchanger.

The smelly feet scent is cause by fungi and bacteria on the exchangers. I spray these with fungi and bacteria killer made by Wynns everytime I change the cabin air filter. I'm sure other manufacturers work as well, but that's the one available to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking condensation too, but there is A LOT of liquid. i can see it dripping out of the ac box, and the floor is soaking wet. when i have it on hi, max cool, the middle vents have condensation around them too. i have never seen a car have that much condensation from the ac. it isn't the heater core. what would i have to do to tear the box apart to check the entire drain system, or ac itself? someone has had to have had this problem before me.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe your unit freezes to the point it blocks the drain for a while until it melts. Next time you come home, open the hood, the A/C should already be dripping out the drain. if not your core might just be a big block of ice waiting to melt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
on the passenger side of the firewall behind the heat shield is the drain. it is a black plastic tube. also you could be taking on water from your sunroof drain tubes if you have a sunroof

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this issue as well, it happens after it rains, for instance I left it parked at the airport for a week came back and there was water in the passenger foot well. So it is not the A/C unit. I can also hear water moving under my car when I accelerate in the morning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah. mine is based on the use of it. i would say yours is a leaking window, or sunroof.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the sunroof drain pipes always get plugged, but another place to check would be remove your wiper arms and that cowl panel cover. under there is a drain slots to let the water from the cowl out. if leaves and shit get down there its only other route is through your internal ac filter into the passenger side

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had this problem years ago with mine. The a/c vents would have a ton of condensation on them and the windows would fog. Then on one warm, humid, rainy day my passenger side floorboard was wet and dripping from the blower motor. Water was getting in the fan and making a noise. The next day I took compressed air and blew out the drain hole in the firewall in the engine compartment and let me tell you, it was like Niagara Falls sprung a leak. A couple seconds of compressed air worked for me! Something must have clogged up that little drain hole.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.......still leaking. The drain is the square black deal coming from the firewall with the vertical splitter, correct? I guess i'll try the compressed air, but it is not only ac related now. Had a hard rain last week and i had about an inch of water on the floor..... not good. Was beginning to think ac evaporator or something since my center vents have alot of condensation around them when using max air on recirculate. So stumped. Was just coming from the center of the ac box, and now is coming from arouns the blower motor also. This needs fixed soon before i end up with mold and the smell that will never go away. And no a dealer is not an option, nor would i ever take it to a garage period. Plus the chiltons manual is pretty useless for this matter. Yippee......thanks for the advice guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Drain is lower than motor, so it must be partially blocked. I used a long pipe cleaner on my Outlander and it did the trick. Your description is right for the drain. It is right above one of the steering rack bolts. Rain water should also come out this drain .

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine leaks in a heavy rain around the speakers if I park facing downhill. Huge thunder storm last night with tons of rain and dry when I parked facing uphill

Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced my heater core that was leaking....and trust me if it was the liquid source you'd definitely be smelling coolant in your vents. I have an HHR that did this water in the floor board problem that led to it needing the blower motor resistor replaced cause the water shorted it out. Now I DID NOT do the repair on the HHR that stopped the leak (wish I did so i'd be able to help more). The mechanic that repaired the leak on the HHR looks to have had to "re-caulk" the upper line where the top of the windshield meets the metal and that could be a place to check. I have seen more HHR's of customers and all that have had this water build up during a/c use than I have heard/seen cobalts have. I can tell you that the plastic cover that you can see under the dash that seems to have a seam or ability to come off the hvac housing is one big "cover" for the heater core...and stupidly, in my opinion, is not held on by screws but rather these plastic "tac welded" points where it would have made sense to put screws instead so you could easily remove the damn thing to get to the heater core or check the drain. The drain is built into this cover and protrudes to the engine side of the firewall. I would suggest by any means possible to try to find the source of the water coming in somewhere else before you attempt to crack open the heater core cover with the drain or any other part of the black plastic a/c box because not only do you have to remove major dash components to work on it but also if you open the heater core cover...it's broken til you put self tapping screws back in it to seal it back up....and in my case I ended up breaking the cover on the drivers side of it that is seriously connected to the firewall for the heater core tubes to exit to engine side of firewall. I also have heard since the heater core never gets cold (seeing as coolant is always flowing through it) that it's secondary job is to keep the internal a/c evaporator from freezing up....don't know if that could also be a possibility for the extensive amount of water you are experiencing by the heater core somehow not "defrosting" the evaporator properly behind the dash. Either way I hope you find a solution and taking the dash apart yourself is a headache....lol.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Mine leaks in a heavy rain around the speakers if I park facing downhill. Huge thunder storm last night with tons of rain and dry when I parked facing uphill

Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App
My speakers were soaked once. Had to replace them:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.