Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a/c delco? Have had my balt for a year in June, so i thought it would be good to replace the air filter. Who knows if the previous owner ever changed it?? Looks like they are only 10-20 dollars so it really can't hurt.
what else should i get done to keep her in tip top shape? drain, flush, refill cooling system? change the brake fluid?

I don't want to mod out my Balt, I just want to make it last forever :D

(2006 LT, black, 5spd, ~50K)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just get a regular replacement filter. Coolant flush at 5 years or 100k/60 mi. Brake fluid you change with the brakes I believe, don't think it's need to be changed any more frequently. Cabin air filter probably needs changing too.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
eh aren't they pretty pricey for a filter? I don't see them being all that much greater than an A/C delco air filter.
Initially, yes. However, for the price of a K&N, you get a lifetime filter, so in 3-4 filter changes (at $30 a piece) you are saving money in the long run. Plus a dirty K&N still flows more air than clean paper filters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just get a regular replacement filter. Coolant flush at 5 years or 100k/60 mi. Brake fluid you change with the brakes I believe, don't think it's need to be changed any more frequently. Cabin air filter probably needs changing too.
which one is the one that is on the left side under the hood inside the box? i are confuzed :p

Initially, yes. However, for the price of a K&N, you get a lifetime filter, so in 3-4 filter changes (at $30 a piece) you are saving money in the long run. Plus a dirty K&N still flows more air than clean paper filters.
this is why i ask questions :) I don't mind spending a buck or two on it. Just want to keep it simple or i'll start getting hooked and spending too much lol

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Just want to keep it simple or i'll start getting hooked and spending too much lol
umm. you're on a cobalt forum where about 99.9% of our cars have at least 1 performance mod on them. you will catch the fever real quick if you have a couple extra bucks in your pocket and nothing to spend it on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
umm. you're on a cobalt forum where about 99.9% of our cars have at least 1 performance mod on them. you will catch the fever real quick if you have a couple extra bucks in your pocket and nothing to spend it on.
I mainly lurk for maintenance and just advice in general. I want her to last a long time, that's all. My extra income goes into stocks and silver investments.

Think i am going to go with the K & N filter though. The Balt is relatively young with only 50K miles so having a lifetime filter is probably the way to go at this point.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I mainly lurk for maintenance and just advice in general. I want her to last a long time, that's all. My extra income goes into stocks and silver investments.

Think i am going to go with the K & N filter though. The Balt is relatively young with only 50K miles so having a lifetime filter is probably the way to go at this point.
Just make sure you buy the cleaning kit and then store it, so that when you have to use it you'll be set.

·
Registered
78 Posts

good choice. i have had my balt for about 2 years now and have put 50k on it. at a total of 110500k miles, it runs like a champ and i have had nothing but the K&N filter in it. it has definitely paid for itself by now.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
psht, even if you don't have a few extra bucks. hah.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Get the K/N drop in filter. You don't ever have to replace, just take it out every so often and clean it and you are g2g!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.