Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it we all drive our cars up and down the city streets, highways, Interstates. We park in public lots and on the street at work, school and out of town trips. We ALL come in contact with all sorts of criminals, drug dealers, violent felons, pervs, stalkers and all sorts of wack jobs, probably by the HUNDREDS on a DAILY basis and display our vehicle's license plates, which of course is required by law. But... when we get in HERE amongst our "friends" that share a common interest and the spirit of brotherhood (and sisterhood!),,, and we go to great lengths to disguise, disfigure or render illegible the same license plates we display in the above scenerio.
I am the first to understand the right to privacy and in today's world some things should be taken more seriously.... but a publiicly display license plate???
I'm not getting it...

GTO 1

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think THOSE days have come to an end. Extensive records are kept nationwide in which the vehicle owner has the right to inspect. If those tags/license etc are "run" for any NON Criminal Justice purpose, that person will not only lose their job, but WILL be charged with a serious crime and prosecuted. (or that's the way it's done here)
My car computer make me "password" a message for EVERY transaction reminding me of the penalties of misuse.

GTO 1

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well gto1, i have been one of thjese people to hide my license plate, but it has nothing to do with you or any of the other members on this website. Its those criminals yu talk about.

Car theives, are very smart and good at what they do. You never see these people just hit a random car, they do thier research. Which includes checking out forums to see what kind of stuff people have in their cars, so they know what cars to hit. You post up your license plate, these crooks got your plates and can find where you live, and they know all the stuff in your car. They figure out exactly how to remove everything thats installed in your car perfectly, so they hit your car and in 1 minute their gone.

This has been known to happen many times. My boss has a ford f-150, he had a 1000 knwood headunit. He posted it up on his myspace/facebook. And what happened 3 weeks after he got it? His window got busted in and someone stole it right out his truck. He has limo tints on his truck, theres no way they saw it from the outside, they got in information from somewhere else.

Thats my logic of not showing my license plate. Like i said, no disrespect to any of the members on this site. Its just i have a 2000 headunit and like 1000 worth of audio equipment, i dont want these crooks getting my plate numbers.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well gto1, i have been one of thjese people to hide my license plate, but it has nothing to do with you or any of the other members on this website. Its those criminals yu talk about.

Car theives, are very smart and good at what they do. You never see these people just hit a random car, they do thier research. Which includes checking out forums to see what kind of stuff people have in their cars, so they know what cars to hit. You post up your license plate, these crooks got your plates and can find where you live, and they know all the stuff in your car. They figure out exactly how to remove everything thats installed in your car perfectly, so they hit your car and in 1 minute their gone.

This has been known to happen many times. My boss has a ford f-150, he had a 1000 knwood headunit. He posted it up on his myspace/facebook. And what happened 3 weeks after he got it? His window got busted in and someone stole it right out his truck. He has limo tints on his truck, theres no way they saw it from the outside, they got in information from somewhere else.

Thats my logic of not showing my license plate. Like i said, no disrespect to any of the members on this site. Its just i have a 2000 headunit and like 1000 worth of audio equipment, i dont want these crooks getting my plate numbers.
Ahhh.. I'm not really feeling that. Possible? Maybe. Probable? No. I can't see a criminal that steals radios and accessories (or even joyriders) doing any more research than "seeing/doing." Usually this group consists of thrill seekers or dopers looking for a quick buck.
They are not the type to research forums, find a police agency or DMV mole to run tags, stake out a specific vehicle just to steal a part or two.
As far as your friend, I see no correlation between his appearance on Facebook ect and the actual break in of his truck. I'm am thinking that event was random, but the big draw I am seeing to your friends truck was possibly the limo tint. Not a planned event, but a smash and grab. They wanted to know what all that black tint was hiding, they quickly found out, stole and sold it for next to nothing.

GTO 1

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Ahhh.. I'm not really feeling that. Possible? Maybe. Probable? No. I can't see a criminal that steals radios and accessories (or even joyriders) doing any more reseach than "seeing/doing." Usually this group consists of thrill seekers or dopers looking for a quick buck.
They are not the type to research forums, find a police agency or DMV mole to run tags, stake out a specific vehicle just to steal a part or two.
As far as your friend, I see no correlation between his appearance on Facebook ect and the actual break in of his truck. I'm am thinking that event was random, but the big draw I am seeing to your friends truck was possibly the limo tint. Not a planned event, but a smash and grab. They wanted to know what all that black tint was hiding, they quickly found out, stole and sold it for next to nothing.

GTO 1
thats why i havent tinted. i want mine to scream -stock system with blown speakers, please dont break my window! :laugh:

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I just don't want people to find out where I live, or rip off my SS badges :laugh:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just don't want people to find out where I live, or rip off my SS badges :laugh:
Ha,, thats funny! Is there a road map to your house stuck to your plates? I don't think swiping your SS emblems is in the top 10 things of folks to do on here. Think of all the garage and random pics you've posted over the months. If someone really wanted to find you, they could have.

GTO 1

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well my boss was a cop for 22 years nd he said that is somethin crooks do is search forums for cars to hit.

Also have a friend thats real into the JDM/honda scene. From what he told me, cars of ricers come from the city, and will hit all these cars in one night all in one neighborhood. He said they know where the cars are and they go right their and go right home. They dont go driving around looking for them.

i really dont think most of these car brake ins are completly random, i think they are well thought out well planned attacks.

Also a guy te next bloc over from me had the rims off his benz stolen, when it was parked behind a fence, in his backyard. No way hese crooks drove around searching peoples backyards. They knew that car was their.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Ha,, thats funny! Is there a road map to your house stuck to your plates? I don't think swiping your SS emblems is in the top 10 things of folks to do on here. Think of all the garage and random pics you've posted over the months. If someone really wanted to find you, they could have.

GTO 1
Think of all the people that hate me on css.net and other places. I'm sure a few people would love to. One has even mentioned if he knew where I lived he would come rip them off. lol Or want to kick my ass or something lol

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think of all the people that hate me on css.net and other places. I'm sure a few people would love to. One has even mentioned if he knew where I lived he would come rip them off. lol Or want to kick my ass or something lol
In your specific case, you may wanna keep swirlin' those plates on your ride! LOL....

GTO 1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.