Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has come to the dreadful time of my cars life when its time to put her out to pasture. The car has been my baby for 7 yrs and have gotten my enjoyment out of her. With the resent problems of a bad rod bearing and likely crank damage I think it is time to move on. My friends dad who is a mechanic said we could put in an oversized bearing to get it back up and running but there would be no guarantee on how long it would last. To do it correctly would mean either swapping in a new engine or rebuilding the current engine. Either way it would be costly and a timely project. I have decided its probably best to just get her up and running with a new bearing and then let her be on her way.

I think I can probably get around 8k give or take a little and was wondering what kind of cars others would suggest I look into getting. I would like to keep the price to around 10k or under. I wouldn't mind upgrading to an SS but there are a lot of other nice cars out there. What is everyone's opinion?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
should be able to get a 02 WRX for around 10!

·
Registered
978 Posts
im buying a bicycle lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
make sure you get one with a bell and basket

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Get a DSM or something like that lol. You can make good easy power with them. And they are less than 10k. If you were able to pay a little more I'd say there was a turbo ss outside of flint for 16k with less than 7500 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
honestly, you could probably get it for 13.

·
Registered
978 Posts
make sure you get one with a bell and basket
ok i will and i better get a few orange flags to put on it .so dumbass people can see me coming .w:clap:clap:clapay my luck is they probably hit me again lol

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Get a DSM or something like that lol. You can make good easy power with them. And they are less than 10k. If you were able to pay a little more I'd say there was a turbo ss outside of flint for 16k with less than 7500 miles on it.
saw it,nice .

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I originally thought of a WRX but I would want the STI which would be out of my price range lol. I didnt see the cobalt in flint your referring to but I saw this one listed in Ohio that looked pretty nice too

06 cobalt ss

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's expensive for 100k miles. Mods don't add value either

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
9k is about blue book for an 06 ss with that amount of mileage. Could probably talk them down too. Blue book on mine is around 7-8 but I would start high at 9 cause I know I would get talked down. Just because someone is asking a certain price doesnt mean thats the least they will take

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I originally thought of a WRX but I would want the STI which would be out of my price range lol. I didnt see the cobalt in flint your referring to but I saw this one listed in Ohio that looked pretty nice too

06 cobalt ss
Build a base model wrx to sweep sti's. Same concept as building a base balt and sweeping ss' s ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Your not going to try and sell your cobalt with its problems are you? Your mechanic said it may not last after you put the bearing in. That would be a dick move I think. Need to tell the buyer whats wrong with it first. Then I don't think you'll get what your asking for it. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a crap shoot as to if it would last or not. Most likely I would end up trading it in and only get 6 out of if. If I screw the dealership I am not that worried about it. If I sold it privately I would tell the buyer of all the work that was done to it. I would much rather sell it privately to get the most out of it but the girl is worried about buying something used that doesn't have a warranty. Most likely will end up trading it in towards a pre-owned certified car to please her lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I know they're not the prettiest cars, but why don't you get a good reliable Lancer. They have a lot of potential and all the EVO parts fit on it.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Or get a Lancer RS or even better get an EVO.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

So it was a spun bearing???

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I know they're not the prettiest cars, but why don't you get a good reliable Lancer. They have a lot of potential and all the EVO parts fit on it.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Or get a Lancer RS or even better get an EVO.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

So it was a spun bearing???
$14k for a modded used evo, and has 146k miles lol:

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII Evo 8

I keep up with evo's going up for sale.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That's a nice one.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
yeah it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not 100% sure yet if the bearing spun or not but my friends dad said that more than likely it spun and caused damage to the crank. I am going to try and put the timing set back together this weekend and then pull the pan to confirm how bad it is. If by some grace of god the crank is not damaged then I may think about keeping it for awhile longer.

That EVO is very nice. I would love something like that but at the end of the day I would look at it like a pre-built car. I don't know if I could handle that. The mods are wonderful but I would have no joy of knowing I put the work into the car. Nor would I probably remember everything about the car as I didnt do any of it. I would rather get a solid base car and then built it up to make it my own.

I think I am probably going to end up having to extend my budget a little even if it is like 5k. The payment would only be around $150 a month. I would really like to get into a newer camaro or challenger

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Its a crap shoot as to if it would last or not. Most likely I would end up trading it in and only get 6 out of if. If I screw the dealership I am not that worried about it. If I sold it privately I would tell the buyer of all the work that was done to it. I would much rather sell it privately to get the most out of it but the girl is worried about buying something used that doesn't have a warranty. Most likely will end up trading it in towards a pre-owned certified car to please her lol
Screwing the dealership I could handle. Do it, lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.