Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Could Possibly Cause Two Consecutive Fuel Pump Modules to Fail?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ChevyCustSvc 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 07 Chevy Cobalt. The original fuel pump in the car had a gas leak due to a defective plastic part that cracked, so I took the car to a local Chevrolet dealer and had the fuel pump module replaced under special coverage at the beginning of February. Soon after the replacement, I noticed some strange signs that I had never seen before. If the the car was parked overnight or for a long time, and I started the car for the first time, there was a strange noise coming from the rear of the car near the gas tank when the fuel pump was engaged, and it took much longer for the car to start than usual. So I suspected that there was some kind of problem with the new fuel pump module. And eventually on March 30, 2014, the fuel pump suddenly failed when I tried to start the car, and the car wouldn't start. So I had no choice but to have it towed to the dealer. They checked it, but did not investigate why it failed, only simply replaced the fuel pump with a new one. And they told me that it could be a defective fuel pump. I believed them and thought to myself that this time it should be alright. I was wrong. A couple of days ago, the exact same signs showed up from the second fuel pump they put into my car: there was a sharp noise coming from the rear when the fuel pump was engaged for the first time, and it took much longer to start the car. From my experience I know that the second fuel pump is about to fail, too, just like the first one. The first one lasted less than two months, not sure how long the second one is going to last.

Right now I don't think it is a coincidence that the two consecutive fuel pumps are both defective parts. I think there must be something that caused them to fail. So what in the car could possibly cause the fuel pumps to go out on me? The car's relatively well maintained and has 70,000 miles on it. Or maybe the entire batch of fuel pumps the dealer ordered are defective?

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe this statement to be your closest argument."Or maybe the entire batch of fuel pumps the dealer ordered are defective?"

Bring her back to the dealer before you have to get it towed again.

#3 ·
Hey Freezer,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your fuel pump. I would like to look into this further for you with your Chevrolet dealership. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

#5 ·
Hi freezer0909,

Our Customer Assistance Center would be happy to assist you. They can be reached at 800-222-1020, Monday - Saturday 8AM - 9PM EST. You can also send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com and include the requested information and details of your current situation. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Andraya R. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.