Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very torn on where to put this...since this is somewhat electrical related I thought i'd put it here...mods can feel free to move it to the appropriate forum category..

Noticed some wiring that was done before I got the car and I'm trying to figure out what they did and why.

1st they have two wire nuts in the obd2 wiring...

2nd there is a black wire(I assume grounded maybe?) coming from the firewall...

Any ideas? I know I can't know for sure without asking the previous owner, but I bought this car from a dealer...so I really don't know.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or dealer had a tracking device if it was leased.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or dealer had a tracking device if it was leased.
This seems likely..the other people have talked to have said maybe remote start or alarm..but dealer tracking device seems more likely.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
mine was a leased car and there isn't a bunch of mangled wires under my dash....... maybe they jusd did a better job of taking it out lol

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Dealerships do some crazy things sometimes...... my brother used to have an explorer that was wired up all sorts of crazy..... it would berp if his payment was late, and if he was like 2 weeks late or so they could completely disable it.....

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They should've based the Davinci Code off this. The Holy Grail to whoever can figure out what's going on here.

You can see a little red button resting against the power steering motor. There's also a dummy switch hiding in here. Couldn't make heads or tails for either.
That's insane...I'd almost be okay with the way mine is...but they spliced so close to the connector...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OBDII connector has B+ (pin 16) and ground (pin4) so it is a nice place to get power but not the best way. It is fused at 20 amp because it also supplies cigar lighter.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My dealership I have installed a autotrack box before a few times. Thats what it looks like in the pictures. Its for people who have the absolute worst credit in the world, so they get a 2014 Mits Mirage with $2000 down and $375/month for a $14k car. If they miss a payment by 1 day, that device disables the vehicle from start up and alerts the financial company to repo the car. We get them from time to time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.