Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2138 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,081
You could have done Yamy, I suppose, assuming it was short for Yamaha? I think it might have actually fit the pronunciation of the brand a bit better - but you have to think about how it's pronounced since it can go a few different ways...one sounding like "Amy".

The intentional pronunciation would be "Yahh-Mee", retaining the first syllable of Yamaha.

Now, if it doesn't relate to Yamaha than ignore all of that, haha. :laugh:
Yamy was also taken and yes it was referencing to my Yamaha 624. I could have added a # on the end I suppose but there also it would have to mean something and it got too complicated.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have about 3 different usernames I use depending on what its for haha

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Going to start working for my uncle again next week, he needs more help again and I could use the extra money because owning a house can be expensive haha. Won't be working there very much but assuming I can build a fast as 2 years ago then I'll be making about 24 bucks an hour for some mindless work.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Got everything all finished up today - amp installed and wired up, IP trim/panels reinstalled and got all the initial tweaking done. It's amazing just how much cleaner everything sounds - especially when I don't have to have the bass turned all the way down because the subs were running off the rear speaker feed. Finally putting these amazing speakers to work like how they were meant to.

Amp Installed:

Mic for the head unit is tucked away nicely on the steering column

Everything back together inside the car. Looks so clean there, I'm really happy with how it turned out

Something behind the head unit is ratting - probably one of the many, many cables behind there - so I need to either pull it back out and see, or hopefully reach my hand up back there from the side or below and keep whatever it is from rattling because it will drive me insane. I heard a little "alternator whine" through the speakers, but only at startup, and only before music starting playing - another monitor-type thing. I am just happy to finally have it done.

I now should have no issue hearing my music with the windows down on the freeway, which was a struggle even on max volume before. Having it only up to 3/4 volume was borderline painful, and I only have the gain turned up 1/4 of the way on the amp.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Wife and I busted our asses putting down 43 bags of mulch (the other two will go down tomorrow, after its had time to settle a bit) in the sun and all the heat - really needed it after we didn't get around to it for the last couple years. Amazing just how much of a difference it makes.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Last bit of mulch down, in the patio area - had to clean out all the buildup of dead needles and what not. So much better.

​​​​​​​

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Don't know the last time this car got a proper wash/wax, but I was happy to give it one today!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Would rather be doing that than brake lines on my dads Cadillac all day haha, been working on replacing all the steel lines. Next step is pads and rotors on all 4 wheels when they come in

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
It was nice to do, and the sun went under a cloud for a while, too - until halfway through applying the wax, of course.

Brake lines are a pain in the ass. I'll need to order pads and rotors for the front of the Cruze here soon, about time to do those, getting near 100k.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Also had to order in an ac compressor for my mom's town car so that will be fun too haha

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Had to get a new rubber brake hose for one of the wheels as well because there's no way that fitting is coming out... my dad is still saving about 1k in shop labor between both cars though so he doesnt mind spending an extra 20 bucks on a brake hose lmao

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Yeah, once they're there for a while...yep, they definitely aren't coming out. When I did the rear hard lines (just from the junction at the rubber hose on the axle that goes to the next hard line on the underbody to the wheel cylinder) on the Cav, the nut would turn - but it wasn't separate from the brake line, so those just severed right off the line, but thankfully it was getting new lines since the one was definitely spewing out fluid when you hit the brakes - made a funny "pewwwww" noise too when it did, too. :laugh:

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Finally got around to giving the Cruze a much-needed bath - look, the car is actually black again!

]

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Somehow the Buick actually behaved during the swaybar replacement...

This was the reason for replacement up front:

32mm hollow front bar vs 33mm solid ZZP bar:

Stock front bushings - you couldn't even turn the front swaybar by hand. It's no wonder that it split (especially with the Moog poly end links):

Front bar installed...went surprisingly well! New brackets, bushings and bolts.

The front bar is so damn stiff it kept the front right side on full droop, despite being on the ground, while the left front was still in the air:

Stock rear bar versus 17mm ZZP solid rear bar:

Stock end link versus the new Moog end link - way thicker:

ZZP rear bar installed:

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Kept the car-work theme going today and got the Cruze blacked-out tails installed (as well as the Camaro steering column torn down to the point where I need the pivot removal tool if I want to continue).

Good comparison between stock and blacked out:

All done - love the look!

Taillights on:

Brakes light on:

Brake and reverse lights on:

Taillights and reverse lights on:

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Wow, last update was in April, back when it rained for about four years straight. Looks like we need an update!

I drove the car down to Woodward at the end of July and noticed the steering was a little more sketchy than it usually is (since it needs an alignment, and the steering box seems to have a bit of a dead zone before the pitman arm moves) driving down there and driving back. There was some kind of weird "pop" that could be felt and heard when you'd change direction of the steering wheel, meaning that any time you had to correct, it would pop and move it further, meaning it would overcorrect, which you'd then have to correct, pop, overcorrect, repeat...not enjoyable in the least.

Last sunday I started taking the column apart to investigate:

Removing the lock ring - was a bit of a pain to get the clip off, but eventually it came off after a few choice words...

Turn signal assembly - everything seems to be in order here, but I do have instances where my turn signals suddenly don't appear to be working. You'll hit the lever, it clicks up and down nicely, but nothing happens. Then just as suddenly, they'll be working again. That was real handy last night, driving home from the Dream Cruise in the pouring rain at night...

Buzzer switch coming out

Steering shaft spherical joint for the tilt. If you pushed on it and turned the wheel, the pop became muted, but did not go away. This meant it was coming from elsewhere, and vibrating up top.

On Monday, I decided to pull out the actual steering shaft to isolate, for sure, whether or not it was in the column, or the steering box. This is when I (believe I) determined it to perhaps be due to the lower bearing that mounts in the firewall. It has a fair amount of end play, which I do not recall when I replaced the steering shaft last year. If it was pulled down (out of the firewall), the steering shaft motion was extremely "lumpy" and actually completely bound a couple times and wouldn't move. Pushing it back up (into the firewall) and turning it from the engine bay side (to make sure it stayed up), the fluid was smooth as glass - no pop, nothing. So, I'm not sure if, over time with vibration and driving, it started pushing itself down, since the shaft is collapsible, and started leading to some less-smooth movement.*

Either way, reinstalling the steering shaft with the column shaft end pushed up all the way seems to have "cured" the "pop", for the time being, at least.

During all that time, however, the rear upper shaft bearing must've come out of place and ball bearings started dropping out of the column. So that meant more projects...

Thursday, I got the pivot pins out and the upper bearing housing off. I took the time to check the infamous tilt bolts, even though my column wasn't particularly loose or wobbly. I'm glad I did though, because all four were not entirely tight. I removed them, put some Loctite on, and reinstalled them. Good that I was able to take care of those while I was in there! I repacked the rear bearing, and re-assembled everything.

Getting back from Woodward on Friday night, I decided to reassemble the remainder of the column since I had time, and I got it all back together:

Morning of the Dream Cruise, I reconnected the battery back up so I could start the car and spin the steering back and forth to make sure everything felt good, and it did. So I decided I might as well drive it down!

Next up is to figure out what seems like a fuel issue. The car no longer seems to have the strange idle issue, but when you start it now, it idles pretty low. If you rev it, it sputters a bit. Out on the road, if you really get into it, it kind of sits there and sputters and bogs,*then*it goes. Might be an accelerator pump, might be a fuel pump...

·
Registered
949 Posts
#1 Most annoying thing about home ownership so far - when the lawnmower breaks, and the part you ordered was the wrong part, so you have to wait even longer for the new part to arrive before you can mow the very-overdue-to-be-mowed lawn.

This is gonna suck :|

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Yep...spent quite a bit of time dealing with fixing the lawnmower this year...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
As did I haha, new battery new belts new blades completely tore apart and repainted the deck new tires fuel filter spark plug oil change. Haven't mowed in almost a month now and it's not even that long yet

·
Registered
488 Posts
#1 .....This is gonna suck :|
The pleasures of living in Far North Texas there Partros! Just wait another month without rain and it turns brown. So rent a couple of your neighbors goats. And not the General Motors Type

BTW. Just spent the long weekend in the far SE corner of Far North Texas, in Broken Bow. I didn’t know ther was that much logging around there.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Been having some heavier throttle issues this year. Based on numerous sources, a carb rebuild is probably required as it's most likely the accelerator pump seal has degraded and is just pouring in fuel when you get on it, making it bog, hard.

Pulled the carb off tonight to get it ready for the rebuild process this week:

These first few are more for reference, but I included them in case anyone happens to see something I missed that could have been causing the issue:

Carb removed - the inside of the intake looks pretty clean

Carb off the car:

Fuel filter looks a tad dirty...

After a quick spray/wipe off with carb and brake cleaner - quite a lot cleaner (especially for doing this outside while being eaten alive by mosquitoes)! Time to let this dry overnight...

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Started disassembly:

Air horn removed:

Main casting with the air horn removed:

Gasket removed:

Accelerator pump - seal does look mostly okay, I think:

Main casting components removed:

Well, looks like the plugs were removed down here:

Throttle plate removed:

Fuel bowl plugs have already been epoxied in the past:

Throttle plate gasket removed:

So, this thing definitely has been off, and apart, before. I need to do a quick soapy water test and see if the bowl plugs are leaking or not, but the epoxy looks to be pretty solidly on there, so we'll see. Everything is really quite clean inside. Nothing seems gummed up - everything moves quite easily and freely.

2081 - 2100 of 2138 Posts