Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
added 2 memphis 10's in a ported box and holy crap it sounds like my trunk is about to shatter. i turned the subs around and let them fire into the cab and it still does it, just not as bad. the spoiler isnt loose or anything, anyone use fatmat or anything?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
dynamat is a way to start. I didn't need any when I got mine put in, but now I do. They said the spoiler will always rattle some.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can deal with some rattle, but man i have NEVER had a car do like this. its crazy.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
haha, yea I know what you mean. I've been getting new rattles lately when I turn the bass up, so I'm going to buy me some dynamat soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much would i need to do the trunk, im guessing the trunk lid not the entire trunk right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had two twelve inch Jbls in mine, and had a huge problem with the trunk. i changed it to one ten now and found out that in the trunk on the top it's just a single sheet of metal and above that is just empty space, there's about two inches of empty space. you got to find some way of filling in that space to stop the sheet metal from shaking, that's the only problem you will have with the rattleing

·
Registered
802 Posts
i'm that annoying guy at car show's that let's my shit rattle i love it i cant hear so i dont care... but also at ace hardware that hve this stuff that's exactly like dynamat but like a 1/4 the price... it does work very well

·
Registered
931 Posts
dynamat, works GREAT

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
here's your solution. First, as I have mentioned before, tighten your trunk latch so that the trunk lid closes tighter. This will eliminate the majority of your shaking. Next, use dynamat or fatmat (i used fatmat off ebay, much cheaper) and make sure you cut smaller pieces to plug the deeper parts of the trunk lid underside before covering the whole underside with a good size piece. I used about 50 square feet to do my entire civic trunk, so i figure its the same for the cobalt or close. This should get rid of most of your shaking and slightly increase the sound quality of your subs too. Doing the inside of your door panels would help too, but i know a lot of us are on a tight budget so start with the trunk lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.