Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was thinking about some stuff to do to my car and a thought occurs. What if I were to remove the rear seats, then get some painted fiberglass to fill the open area between the cabin and trunk. Then, with all that done, replace the rear seat with 2 bucket seats and replace the middle console with one adjoining the front and back. (Ill attach a crude drawing later) I never use my back seat and I think that a split rear seat assembly like the ones up front would look pretty nice. Need some feedback on this one cause it would sink a lot of money.

P.S. What would look better on a victory red g5? Carbon fiber interior trim or red?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
So you want to make it a true 2+2 then?

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's a great idea and I like the concept.
It will take a lot of time and probably a good amount of money but in the end you will have an interior that no one else has :)
Props for a new and unique idea!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Dude just go for it. If you can see it then it'll work. That's how all my mods are done

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
I've actually had an idea similar to this, along with making the trim pieces on the dash all one fiberglassed piece instead of 3 and building the rear deck in with the rest of the back seat part. But yeah, it would take forever! lol Of course, I know a dude whose entire interior is fiberglass, including the floorpan. Molded screens in the passenger floor, etc... That had to be a bish and a half to do!

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah i have been thinking about doing that for awhile only i am going to take it out and do a one seat conversion it will be really nice and it wont cost me anything cause i am going to school at wyotech i will upload pics when i am done and when i get the time to do it

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Neat idea, and original for this car. I would go with a red interior to match the outside, with a little carbon fiber to accent the red trim.

·
Registered
54 Posts
love the idea. go for it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Tried it before on my corolla, it won't work without tons of modifications..first of, u can't put bucket seats in the back, there is not enough room. Underneath the back seat is the floor, which is 2-3 feet high, no seat except a rear seat will fit there (its too high), secondly the "floor" piece I mentioned is also not wide enough to hold a bucket seat cuz they are on tracks, u'd have to modify the tracks or cut them off and find a way to put the seat on the floor without the tracks (weld it maybe?) Like I said I tried it before (was a corolla,not a cobalt) but its the same principal...u'll have ur work cut out for u thats for sure..good luck and if u can pull it off my hat will go off to u...I'm not trying to discourage u in anyway, just letting u know that it is difficult almost impossible

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
He can "build" a seat with the fiberglass though, as long as he reinforces the seat part from below a little better so no one falls through/cracks it. Or just do it and have the look, but not let anyone actually use it. It will be one helluva project though. It'd be sick to do it with the seat thing in the middle and a sub on each side or something.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
They do make low back buckets that you can buy, check out the Jeep catalogs. And they actually look pretty decent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Got a quote for all the equipment and what it would take to install. It's gonna be about $600. Most of that is the seats. Other than that. the actual design isn't that difficult. I'll be able to start the project in 2 months. Right now I'm getting everything together. I looked into fabricating a custom seat out of fiberglass and it's actually a lot cheaper but it's a lot harder.
BTW where can I find wrecked Cobalts? (Spare parts)

·
Registered
911 Posts
actually I did some checking out for u and the seats in a E350 transit bus will fit and be quite comfortable...they're the seats for the passengers in the back so there's no track for them to be on, just weld or bolt to the floor

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.