Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my left front door speaker has stopped working. This has now encouraged me to change my two front door speakers. I have the base system, not pioneer. As a head unit I have a pioneer DEH-x1710UB. My question is what speakers will work with this head unit without me getting an amp to run them? I just want to be able to go out and purchase them and have a nice and easy install without having to run a wire to an amp. Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Any 6.5" with an adaptor bracket. These are the cheap amazon Boss ones I put in and they work quite well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you don't want to pay for the adapter, or like in my case, you get the wrong one, you can cut the speaker out of the stock speaker mount and put aftermarket speakers back in. A dremel or razor saw and about 5 minutes of your time trimming and they work great. I went with a cheaper alpine 6.5. Fit no issues. I don't have a pioneer head unit, but I have no issue using just the basic alpine head unit to power the speakers.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah I did that for the first one but it's only $10 for a set of 2....

·
Registered
153 Posts
It wasn't about the money at the time. I needed to get the car back together for a drive the next day and didn't have time to re-order the adapters. The ones I had ordered had too much stand off, and the door panel wouldn't attach flush when installed.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Someone else can answer this better than I, but your head unit will push 200w max, 50 w per channel peak with the RMS of 14w per channel. Any decent cheaper 6.5 in should work fine.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
As long as you run a 4-ohm speaker, you'll be good. Most aftermarket speakers are. Some higher end speakers are not. Pioneer makes a great speaker for the price, and they'll be 4-ohm.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How does it sound, you didn't accidentally wire them out of phase or did you get the kit?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How did you figure out which wire was negative or positive. Did you come upon this pin-out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.